5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

New user - Working yesterday, failing today when I attempt to run a test

Howdy. New user here (one of a lot, probably). I downloaded FGC yesterday and spent the day getting all the connectivity set up, including setting up the port forwards and added FG services to my firewall. I hit the "Run test" button and it came back successful. Great, awesome. I shut everything down and went to sleep, planning on testing it with a single player tonight to learn the interface and work out any kinks in anticipation of hosting a full online session of our regular group Saturday night.

Fast forward to about 30 minutes ago. I boot up, run FG, load the campaign, click "Run test" and...FAILURE. I check my firewall, check my port forwarding; everything is still setup as I left it yesterday when the test was successful. I then click on "<< Click to retrieve >>" my external IP in the client just for funsies. After about 30 or so seconds it returns, "Error!". OK, I think, maybe there's and update? I go into the FG settings and kick off a client update. The updater sits at "Getting packages from FG server" for about 15 seconds before returning, "ERROR - GetProducts: Network: time out".

I had the player I was going to test with try to run an update and a connection test and he comes back successful on both. So I know it's me and not FG.

So what could I have missed? What could possibly change on a reboot that would cause FG client connections (inbound and out) fail?

Thanks for any ideas. Much appreciated.

Your computer’s IP address may have changed. Check and see if it still matches your port forwarding rule and adjust the rule if necessary. If that fixes it, I suggest setting a DHCP reservation for your computer in your router so that it always gets the same IP address.

Edit: Welcome to FG!!

Blog Entries
    Who is your ISP? By chance is it Comcast or Xfinity? If so, check this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-XFinity-Users

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the welcome!

My internal LAN IP has not changed. My external IP may have changed, but the port forwarding rule on my router still shows that it's set to pass 1802 to/from my PC's internal IP. And yesterday before setting up the forward, both the client updater in FG worked and the "retrieve my external IP" in the FG client worked. Now neither do.

Also, just FYI only GMs/hosts need a success on the connection test. It doesn’t matter for players. It just validates that the port forwarding is working.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Who is your ISP? By chance is it Comcast or Xfinity? If so, check this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-XFinity-Users
    It is Comcast. Based on that thread I'll log in and see if perhaps they turned on that "Advanced security" last night. If it's on I'll disable it and let y'all know.

Edit: Check the settings per that thread. "Advanced Security" is disabled.
    Last edited by TacoIBKH; March 21st, 2020 at 01:23.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    it is either the link that LordEntrails posted or its TCP Flood Protection on your router.
    Yup, apparently it was this. I had disabled the Advanced Security, but this undisable-able "protect you from yourself" thing they do must have kicked in. Still unsure why it was working yesterday and only started blocking connections today, but que sera sera and all that.

Thanks for the help, y'all!

Thread Information