STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

A few simple, intuitive icons

The FG radial icons disturb me a bit, especially the axe to close a window, and the skull to delete an item, which doesn't fit into non-fantasy settings. I want more universal Office-looking icons, that every new player can recognize at a glance.

I'm aware of this "project", which seems to have been abandoned:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post178290
    ...but these icons are MORE elaborate - not less. 1-2 colors only, is what I'm aiming for.

- Are there more projects like his, or do I have to start drawing icons myself? (I've unzipped the above project, so I basically know how, but it would be very tedious and time-consuming.)
    - Maybe somebody can recommend a ruleset which I'm allowed to copy icons from.
    - Will/can these custom icons be presented to my players as well?

EDIT:

Okay, I've addressed two icons (after making a separate dev ruleset):
    - I simply copied over icon_close.png with icon_closeprogram.png, so it's now an X.
    - I created a nice intuitive "P" broadcast icon (attached both with and without the core icon background). It should be inserted into more icons, but that's going to be complicated.

(You can use these icons without even giving me credit. Any FG copyright for the icon background still applies, though - can't do anything about that.)
    Last edited by MooCow; December 19th, 2019 at 03:12. Reason: Shared some icons.

Blog Entries
    Nothing I can point to specifically. Such changes to radial menus might be incorporated in various "theme" extensions. I would look at the relevant sticky for your interested ruleset and see if their is a theme that changes the radial icons. I don't recall any claiming to do that, BUT, I don't pay much attention to the theme posts.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Nothing I can point to specifically. Such changes to radial menus might be incorporated in various "theme" extensions. I would look at the relevant sticky for your interested ruleset and see if their is a theme that changes the radial icons. I don't recall any claiming to do that, BUT, I don't pay much attention to the theme posts.
    I was hoping that the Call of Cthulhu icons would be more fitting for a Call of Cthulhu campaign, but they're almost comedic: Cryptic-looking mythos runes made to be obscure. Guys, sometimes there's beauty in simplicity, and less is more. Art icons are just distracting. You're not meant to navigate a menu and feel like you're immersed in an atmosphere. I'll definitely be using CoreRPG for my CoC campaigns because of the hi-res art alone.

...or you can go the other way, and change the icons themselves into "PUB" and "SHA". (The icons are too small to fit more than three letters, or I would have done that. I could try to write blurry text, though, with it being a sort of interpretive smear.)

By the way, how DO you make something shared (as opposed to public)? I can't test the "SHA" icon out.

I'm sorry for any offence, but I was actually struck by how ugly low-res the default P and S icons were, and so I cleaned them up to a much more respectable standard.

Next up: The "tokenbags", a.k.a. the folders. They're not too pretty, but at least they're filesystem folders.
    (Since I made these myself as well, you can share them without giving me or anyone credit.)

I've discovered a problem, though: I want to mod one of the themes - the Simple Brown theme. Am I legally allowed to do that? ...considering there's some copyright statement saying that it requires an explicit permission statement.
    ...because otherwise I have to invent a whole new theme with hundreds of buttons, just to mod a few things.

You say the default icons in the rulesets are not immersive and want to replace them with Windows Explorer looking ones? How this is even slightly better... ^_^
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

He didn't want immersive but office-looking icons.

Kossan mu - if you don't distribute your mod then you can ignore the copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    You say the default icons in the rulesets are not immersive and want to replace them with Windows Explorer looking ones? How this is even slightly better... ^_^
    - First of all they're setting neutral, while the bags are specific to medieval settings.
    - Second of all, they're discrete - less distracting. I want the bare minimum of graphics. I might actually make the folders two-color outlines later, like the Simple Brown theme buttons, so that they can be recognized as simply the IDEA of all types of cross platform OS folders.
    - Third of all, I'm used to seeing these icons, and immediately recognize how they work. Having to learn that an axe means "close", is bizarre and confusing.

...so of course they're better.

Thread Information