5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Updater: "Error: Failed to receive data"

1. I'm performing the initial installation of FGU Ultimate on a Windows 10 Profressional system, version 1903, OS build 18362.418.
    2. I was able to download and run FGUWebInstall.exe successfully.
    3. The installer automatically launched the updater.
    4. I successfully entered my product key and username/password.
    5. I clicked the "Update" button.
    6. The updater displayed "Found 16 products... Getting examples from FG server... Found 1 examples... Getting purchases from FG server... Found 7 purchases... Checking package FantasyGroundsUpdate for updates... FantasyGroundsUpdater Updating... Error: Failed to receive data
    7. I waited some time. At least 60s. No retry was visibly occurring.
    8. I clicked the "Cancel" button. The button immediately changed to display "Cancelling", but no further visible activity occurred.
    9. I waited many minutes, surfing around the forum for similar reports. No further activity occurred.

Attached is the FGUpdaterOutput.log which may contain useful details on the nature of the error. I have no insight into its contents.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Check folder permissions on your FG Data directory and reboot your computer. Let us know.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Closing the updater with the "X" in the title bar and restarting things look good. I'm already further along than I got the first time, and things seem to be slowly coming down. There's no urgency to this report, it's not blocking my testing. I report it only in case it helps improve the robustness of the updater.

Happened again, this time much much further along in the update process (I have a couple of official modules in the 50MB-150MB download range, so the download has been pretty slow). I strongly suspect the full log is not interesting, now having seen it twice. Here's the relevant snippet:

67 Response received: {"name":"WOTC5EPOTA","productID":121,"location":2, "buildNums":[3],"files":{"files":[{"name":"modules\/DD Elemental Evil Players Companion.mod","size":697534},{"name":"modules\/DD Princes of the Apocalypse.mod","size":122455045},{"name":"portrai ts\/DND5E.ppk","size":20996},{"name":"portraits\/DND5E.ppk","size":20996},{"name":"modules\/DD Elemental Evil Players Companion.mod","size":697534},{"name":"modules\/DD Princes of the Apocalypse.mod","size":122455045},{"name":"extensi ons\/Decal_POTA.ext","size":23074684}]},"version":0}
    Checking package version.
    New version found, updating.
    WOTC5EPOTA Updating
    68 Response received: 145911586
    Error: Failed to receive data
    WOTC5EPOTA Decompressing

Again, "Cancel" seems to do nothing other than twiddle the button visual. But closing and restarting the updater gets things downloading again.

Blog Entries
    Do you know if your router/modem/firewall has any sort of Flood Protection or Parental Controls?

Can you check your security software onyour computer itself to see if it is throwing any errors/warning or exceptions?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Happened once more on Princes of the Apocalypse, so a total of 3 failures and 4 attempts (with the 4th being successful) in order to complete my first update. 100mbps internet, generally reliable. US Northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Do you know if your router/modem/firewall has any sort of Flood Protection or Parental Controls?
    Neither.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Can you check your security software onyour computer itself to see if it is throwing any errors/warning or exceptions?
    Just Windows Defender, and it's showing nothing in its history.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    Happened again, this time much much further along in the update process (I have a couple of official modules in the 50MB-150MB download range, so the download has been pretty slow). I strongly suspect the full log is not interesting, now having seen it twice. Here's the relevant snippet:

67 Response received: {"name":"WOTC5EPOTA","productID":121,"location":2, "buildNums":[3],"files":{"files":[{"name":"modules\/DD Elemental Evil Players Companion.mod","size":697534},{"name":"modules\/DD Princes of the Apocalypse.mod","size":122455045},{"name":"portrai ts\/DND5E.ppk","size":20996},{"name":"portraits\/DND5E.ppk","size":20996},{"name":"modules\/DD Elemental Evil Players Companion.mod","size":697534},{"name":"modules\/DD Princes of the Apocalypse.mod","size":122455045},{"name":"extensi ons\/Decal_POTA.ext","size":23074684}]},"version":0}
    Checking package version.
    New version found, updating.
    WOTC5EPOTA Updating
    68 Response received: 145911586
    Error: Failed to receive data
    WOTC5EPOTA Decompressing

Again, "Cancel" seems to do nothing other than twiddle the button visual. But closing and restarting the updater gets things downloading again.
    Got a similar problem. Actually the download was ok but was stuck at "decompressing", with 100% CPU 95% GPU on a Dell i7 notebook with SSD, NVidia and 8GB RAM.
    After tweaking a little discovered that disabling the Kaspersky Internet Security for 15 minutes was enough to decompress the whole thing. Worked like a charm.

Carlos

Getting this same error. No flood protection active, no parental controls. fanatsygrounds.exe, fantasygroundsupdater.exe, and fgupdaterengine.exe are all whitelisted. (Using bitdefender.) I've been running Unity for a couple of years now and have never had this issue before. Any help would be appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Connect to your mobile hotspot and try again. If that works then its most likely your Router or ISP filtering.
    Temporarily turn off BD and try again. If that works then its most likely your BD definitions or rules.

Thread Information