FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Issue: Players Repeatedly Disconnecting / Reconnecting

Everything was fine until a few months ago. I went on vacation and everything was fine.

When I returned in early August, every session for the past month, I'm having issues with players disconnecting then reconnecting almost constantly. I've checked both my internet connections (I have two ISPs in my house) and the problem occurs on both, so I know it's not an ISP issue. I use different routers for both, so I know it's not a router issue. I thought it might be an issue with my connection or a PC issue ...

But here's the really crazy thing, when it happens, Discord continues to work/transmit/receive. So it's not so simple. I wish FG actually had an error report that it was giving me or something so I could figure it out. It even happens on multiple tables.

Does anyone have any suggestions I might try? Honestly, the only thing that has changed since I went on vacation was a Windows 10 update and FG module updates, most of which aren't being used in this case. I personally think it has something to do with the recent Windows 10 update ... but I'm hoping someone out there knows what I'm talking about and how to fix it.

I'd say that whoever is connected to my table get's disconnected and then reconnected at LEAST three times every hour. But it usually happens with EVERYONE connected all at once, like there was some sort of connection reset or something.

One major possibility is that you have too much shared an your players are running out of memory. Find out how much memory Your players are using when FG is running. If it is up around 3Gb then that is the issue. Unshare unneeded images, unshare modules that aren’t needed and make sure you don’t have a large amount of tokens in tokens/shared folder.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I doubt it's that. I haven't been sharing more than usual since getting back from vacation, no new tokens added, etc. And actually, it's been happening on a fresh table I've been using for character creation which has nothing shared too.

Have you had any changes to your network hardware since then?

Also, sometimes automatic firmware or software updates can change things, even though you haven't changed anything directly.
    Try looking at your flood protection, QOS, or parental control settings on your router(s) to make sure they are disabled.
    You also might try looking at any Windows security software settings, or third party security software settings (McAfee, Norton, Avast, etc.).

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Have you had any changes to your network hardware since then?
    No.

Also, sometimes automatic firmware or software updates can change things, even though you haven't changed anything directly.
    Try looking at your flood protection, QOS, or parental control settings on your router(s) to make sure they are disabled.
    You also might try looking at any Windows security software settings, or third party security software settings (McAfee, Norton, Avast, etc.).

Regards,
    JPG
    I've double-checked my router, no flood protection, QOS, or parental controls.

I'm not sure what Windows Security settings might be causing it, and I do have Norton, but I don't know what setting there could be causing this issue. I know Norton has a firewall exception for FG too.

Blog Entries
    Wireless? Check the channel you are using (get a WiFi Analyzer app for your phone etc). You could have a neighbor or two that have recently setup their own wireless router and now you are seeing contention on the channel.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Wireless? Check the channel you are using (get a WiFi Analyzer app for your phone etc). You could have a neighbor or two that have recently setup their own wireless router and now you are seeing contention on the channel.
    I'm wired, no wireless. But that would have been a good thing to check.

wow, im glad i came to the forums today to report this same issue. Its not just you Tryann..
    for the last 3 weeks straight the same thing has been happening to me. i use this computer to run FG ultimate. i use one of my laptops to join and run the game for my players at my home table on a 50" tv. It is very annoying when my own lap top right next to me keeps losing connection. It has been working fine for at least a year with no problem. I was blaming it on a windows update but i dont know. im not that up on this type of stuff.

In addition. And again, this is just from the recent 3 weeks or so, FG on this computer, whether i am hosting for our game with my laptop or, if im just using FG through out the week to read and get set up, it will at times just freeze. i have to ctl alt delete and get to the task bar to force it to close and then restart it. that happened twice during our session last friday.

no other issues with anything other than FG's. any help would be appreciated.

edit: also, i dont have anything shared except the necessary items.
    this computer is a i7-7700T 16 ram lap top is a i7-8750 16 ram gtx 1060 video card
    Last edited by Kordin; August 30th, 2019 at 03:42.

There’s nothing that has changed in the FG networking in about a year; so not sure what has changed for either of you.

All networking is done completely on the GM and player machines. Nothing goes through the SmiteWorks servers, except for alias resolution.

That’s why we’ve been suggesting looking at any hardware or software in your configuration that may have changed, reset, update, etc.

Refards,
    JPG

There’s nothing that has changed in the FG networking in about a year; so not sure what has changed for either of you.

All networking is done completely on the GM and player machines. Nothing goes through the SmiteWorks servers, except for alias resolution.

That’s why we’ve been suggesting looking at any hardware or software in your configuration that may have changed, reset, update, etc.

Refards,
    JPG
    is what you said.

Microsoft update scr###d me. is what i heard.

is the only thing that has changed.

if thats the cases though, wouldn't others be having the same problem?

Thread Information