5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 6 of 114 First ... 456781656106 ... Last
    I've just pushed an update that should help with this. Can you try testing again?

Thanks,
    JPG

I am trying to reuse the mappings I did from the first maps. The simplest one transfers over via the XML (copy/paste), but the other two (far more involved) LOS mappings do not show.

Anyone have a tip (or documentation) on how to merge the (old) XML LOS data into the (fresh) new maps XML file?
    Last edited by Guoccamole; August 29th, 2019 at 06:12.

@Moon Wizard: Yes, CTRL+Y works. TY

There was a problem with the name used to save the module files in previous builds. If that was the issue, then the moduledb XML file you saved off from a previous build may have a different name than what it should be. Try opening the same modules, make minor edits, look in the moduledb folder for what the XML file name should be, and compare to the name of moduledb XML file you saved off previously.

That's also assuming you are talking about LOS data for modules, not campaign-built image records.

If that's not the issue, then maybe you can post the files again here.

Regards,
    JPG

Are all the LOS drawings being done the same way as shown in a couple of the videos? The lines are being drawn exactly along the walls. They should be set back a little bit so that the walls can be seen by the players. From the videos I've seen the players will only see floor and blackness. I MUCH prefer the lines being set into the wall a little bit so that the texture/color/detail can be seen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    Are all the LOS drawings being done the same way as shown in a couple of the videos? The lines are being drawn exactly along the walls. They should be set back a little bit so that the walls can be seen by the players. From the videos I've seen the players will only see floor and blackness. I MUCH prefer the lines being set into the wall a little bit so that the texture/color/detail can be seen.
    The LOS rendering is such that it "peeks" past the walls a couple of pixels so the players can see some of the walls. The peek amount is 5% of the grid size and is based on the tokens view angle. For example, on a 50x50 grid the player will see 2.5 units past a wall. As the "view angle" decreases, the player will see less. For example, at the end of a long hallway, the player will peek fewer units beyond the wall.

here's what I mean.

Attachment 1 is the way that I see it being done in the videos.

Attachment 2 is the same place but done with the LOS set into the walls.

I much prefer attachment 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    The LOS rendering is such that it "peeks" past the walls a couple of pixels so the players can see some of the walls. The peek amount is 5% of the grid size and is based on the tokens view angle. For example, on a 50x50 grid the player will see 2.5 units past a wall. As the "view angle" decreases, the player will see less. For example, at the end of a long hallway, the player will peek fewer units beyond the wall.
    Ok. I guess I'll have to see the finished product before I know if I'm spending time moving/re-doing all the LOS stuff. Thanks

If the style of mapping is important, I suggest SmiteWorks publishes a “LOS Mapping Style Guide” because LOS’ing the maps is (as you know) labor intensive, AND some of the maps are hella more labor intensive than others, AND a pixel accurate style of LOS mapping would make them even more labor intensive. For example, an uneven cave wall complex is labor intensive but becomes FAR MORE labor intensive if the canon Style requires pixel accurate tracking.

For example, to deal with secret doors on maps, perhaps pixel accurate mapping is essential (barring redoing the S[ecret doors) icon on map(s)).

Please advise, as I’m dealing with cave map(s) now.

OTOH, if the mapping is still experimental, I believe you should let Alpha testers (i.e., who are helping LOS map) know now... so that they know their work may be wasted.

Please advise. TY
    Last edited by Guoccamole; August 30th, 2019 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    here's what I mean.

Attachment 1 is the way that I see it being done in the videos.

Attachment 2 is the same place but done with the LOS set into the walls.

I much prefer attachment 2.
    I understand that you like the second image more but I see problems with secret doors etc. on specific maps. Very often the secret is just a small and thin wall such that players could see the floor behind the secret door when the LoS is as in your second image. Or, the players can make educated guesses about where secret doors are because they will see when they suddenly can not peek through a wall as far as in your second image

Thread Information