STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Can't connect to FG game as host (localhost)

Hi guys,

maybe you can help me with my problem.

I installed Fantasy Grounds a little more than two weeks ago and got everything up and running so I could host a round without any problems.

Now we have tried the days again to see if the software really works as a group. But I had the problem that I couldn't host a round on my computer. In fact, the problem went so far that I couldn't even connect to the open game with a second instance of the program on that computer.

=> Connection to localhost/127.0.0.1 did not work.

I've already tried a few different things to find out where the problem might be. I uninstalled my antivirus program, checked firewall problems and checked if any problems could have been caused by new programs. In fact, I haven't done much in the past few weeks.

One thing I was able to make was that Fantasy Grounds works when I start the PC in Safe Mode with network support.

Do you have any idea where the problem of Fantasy Grounds not being able to host a game might come from?

Blog Entries
    Welcome tot he forums Sorry you're having challenges

I'm not sure I understand what steps you are taking. Are you starting a second instance of FG on the same computer as you are used to run FG and 'Load Campaign'? Do you have a password on the campaign? If that is the case and it works only when running in Safe Mode, then it is security software on your computer that is preventing connections. It would be pretty strange for s/w to prevent localhost connections, but it is possible. Check your firewall, anti-virus and any other security software you have. Also check your network connection and make sure you are using a private connection type.

If you are trying to connect from a different computer, then "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" will not work, since that is an address that only directs to the computer you are on (i.e. target = source). You will need to use the 'local IP' address that FG gives.

If that doesn't help, please try to give us detailed steps. Thanks!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Viso View Post
    One thing I was able to make was that Fantasy Grounds works when I start the PC in Safe Mode with network support.
    This means you have a program that is blocking access to port 1802. You need to figure out which program this is.

Hey LordEntrails,

thx for your reply. I have Fantasy Grounds open in two instances on one system. In the first instance I did the connection test, which unfortunately didn't work. Then I checked if the port forwarding works, which is generally given because it worked two weeks before. Now I have opened a campaign because I wanted to test whether I could connect to a second software instance on it. As a result, Fantasy Grounds started again on the device and tried to connect to the already open campaign via localhost. That didn't work either.
    Now I did several more tests. I disabled the Internet Security (Kaspersky in this case), that didn't make any difference. Because I wasn't sure if it would be enough, I uninstalled it for a short time, unfortunately without success. I also checked via netstat -a if I could find an open port :1802, if the campaign is open. Unfortunately I didn't found one.
    Because I was curious and wanted to know what could be the reason, I started the Safe Mode of Windows and of course allowed the network connections. Now everything really worked. Port was found, the connection test worked and I was able to connect. Now, of course, I have a hard time figuring out why the software might work in one case but not in the other. Also the fact that the problem didn't work despite uninstalling Kaspersky was very surprising. My last idea was to open my own thread after several researches I already did on the board.

Check that your network connection is set to Private and not Public.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I use Kaspersky and it's never gotten in the way. You must have something else at work here.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

It is set as private Network.

Currently I want to test if FG works if I use another port with the flag -p. But this doesn't seem to work yet. At least this port can't be found either.

I don't think it's Kaspersky either. But right now I'm a little desperate because I don't have any great indication where the problem could actually be.

Check for any other security apps installed - including default windows. If you uninstalled Kapersky, Windows Security may have automatically activated.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Okay now it works with another port...I just made a space between the ports at the -p flag, so it didn't work at the first try. But now with the second already...

So FG at least works again and I can host. Unfortunately I still wonder what exactly could block port 1802. Especially because I don't know of any new software on my computer that occupies the port. Or netstat has already shown that the port is actually free.

I think I have to do a lot of research :/

At the moment I'm wondering if the Windows firewall might be active in addition to Kaspersky, but actually that shouldn't be the case.

It may be that some point in the past, perhaps when you first ran FG, that port 1802 was blocked by your security software. So, I'd recommend making sure that TCP port 1802 is fully enabled in all of your security software.

Thread Information