5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Chat window and Dice Tower locations not saved

Hello!

I'm having a problem in FG v3.3.7 running a campaign as a DM. I've set the location for all of my windows to exactly where I want them and the sizes I want them. When I save my campaign, exit FG completely, restart FG, and load that same campaign, FG remembers where almost all of the windows were placed and when I open them, FG opens them where I placed them last at the size I had them last, which is great!

However, the Chat window always reverts to its default location and size and the Dice Tower also always reverts to its default location. The "PCs" window also reverts to its default location in the exact center of the screen each time, but that's not as big of a deal for me because I never open it.

I like having all of my windows laid out exactly where and how I want them, so moving and resizing just these two items every time I open the campaign seems unnecessary to me. Even if this is the expected default behavior, is there a way to save all the windows' and items' locations on the desktop, including the Chat window and Dice Tower?

Thank you!
    GoldenAvatar

Blog Entries
    What extensions are you using?

Note, this has been reported by someone else, but I have not been able to reproduce it. Not sure anyone else has reproduced it either and not sure if the other user ever resolved it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I’m pretty sure that The chat box and dice tower revert to their normal positions post 3.3.7 to accommodate the new background window functionality. Having said that i’ve Not tested this. The PCs window always opens in the centre of the screen and as far as I know always did.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; January 23rd, 2019 at 00:34.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for asking, I meant to include the extensions I have loaded but forgot. I'm only using 3 in this campaign:

5E Font - 14 point Clear Font
    5E Theme - Wizards
    D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver Desktop Decal

Just tried it again with zero extensions loaded, and I got the same effect: the Chat window was back to its default size and position and so was the Dice Tower.

Just to see if it was a problem from having created a campaign with those 3 extensions loaded from the beginning, and then turning them off later didn't fix the problem, I just now created a brand new test campaign with no extensions loaded from the beginning. I then resized and moved the Chat window and I moved the Dice Tower, then I saved the campaign, closed out FG completely, relaunched FG, loaded the new test campaign, and the Chat window and Dice Tower did revert back to their original default size and locations again, so for me, these two items do not keep their changed settings even in an empty test campaign with no modules or extensions loaded.

If there is any debugging I can enable or logfiles I can look at for anyone who's interested in investigating this, please let me know and I'd be happy to grab some extra information.

It's probably a result of the change to add the background image panels. It's something that will need to be looked at being fixed in the next version.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    From what Mr. Z said, I believe the chat and dice tower are intended to be reset. But, as I said, the dice tower does stay in it's new location for me. I am using 'improved critical', NPC flavor', and 'Dungeon Theme' extensions though, as seen in this screen shot. It's possible one of those changes something that allows the die tower to remain in place, but *shrugs*
    Screen Shot 01-17-19 at 11.18 AM.PNG

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you all, that makes sense. I'll wait and see then.

I want to throw my hat into the ring on this topic as well. Under my 4e campaigns, my chat window size is saved between sessions. However, in my 5e campaigns, the chat window returns to its default size on opening. Like GoldenAvatar, disabling extensions and other things I've tried to force FG to remember the chat window size have no effect. Looking forward to a resolution. Thanks!

Thread Information