5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Noob looking for advice on making dungeon maps for use in FG

Hi all, I’m super new to FG (and rpgs for that matter) and I’m struggling to find pre-made maps that fit the homebrew I’ve been working on building. Hence, I want to make good looking dungeon maps.

I found the post summarizing the different programs available, but it doesn’t really give an indication of what’s best/preferred by the community. I should state that I own a Mac so I’m a little limited in choices.

I really like the idea of using jpeg tiles to assemble maps and dungeons to my specifications. I see map forge’s software as being a good fit, but if you buy the add-ons, they are limited to the software (i.e., I can’t take the tiles as jpegs and use them in another application).

Along those lines, will FGU support the use of jpeg tiles to create dungeon maps? If so, this is another reason to buy the tile assets independently for future use. But if I own all the assets, and FGU is not available yet, what software works best with individual jpeg assets?

Apologies if this rambling post exposes my noob-ness. I want to love FG and I want to make maps. Please help me put these two things together!

Lately, I've been using Dungeon Fog. It's web based so it should work fine on a Mac. Makes pretty good maps for what's supported, and they're actively adding lots of new features.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrandedDM View Post
    Hi all, I’m super new to FG (and rpgs for that matter) and I’m struggling to find pre-made maps that fit the homebrew I’ve been working on building. Hence, I want to make good looking dungeon maps.

I found the post summarizing the different programs available, but it doesn’t really give an indication of what’s best/preferred by the community. I should state that I own a Mac so I’m a little limited in choices.

I really like the idea of using jpeg tiles to assemble maps and dungeons to my specifications. I see map forge’s software as being a good fit, but if you buy the add-ons, they are limited to the software (i.e., I can’t take the tiles as jpegs and use them in another application).

Along those lines, will FGU support the use of jpeg tiles to create dungeon maps? If so, this is another reason to buy the tile assets independently for future use. But if I own all the assets, and FGU is not available yet, what software works best with individual jpeg assets?

Apologies if this rambling post exposes my noob-ness. I want to love FG and I want to make maps. Please help me put these two things together!
    my 2¢

Any of the programs can work fine and produce beautiful maps. Find one that you are willing to invest time in and learn well that also meets your budget. The tool you use to get the final product is not as important in the end. If budget is of concern, go with one of the free ones. I have seen some mindblowing maps from Kris at GTW made with GIMP.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Lately, I've been using Dungeon Fog. It's web based so it should work fine on a Mac. Makes pretty good maps for what's supported, and they're actively adding lots of new features.
    Thanks Andraax, I’ll check it out. Stay warm up there! I’m originally from Hastings but bailed about 25 years ago. SKOL!

Thanks, can you import tile assets (say purchased on DMSGUILD) in GIMP?

certainly. while I am not an expert on GIMP, it is a very powerful image editing application.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

If you are looking for something to do easy drag/drop of tiles. I have used tiled/ which is perfect for that type of mapping and free.

Blog Entries
    We think so. No guarantees or promises, but it has been shown as part of a technology demo. Hence it may not be part of version 1, but I expect it will follow soon if not.

I really like Campaign Cartographer with the Dungeon Designer add-on. But it's Windows software so you would have to run it in a emulator. But, it costs money and it takes time to learn. Though you can make professional quality original maps with it perhaps easier than any other program. It all depends upon how original and how high-end you want your maps to look. If you just need "good" "functional" maps that look cool, the various tile mappers are going to be cheaper and quicker to make what you want.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    We think so. No guarantees or promises, but it has been shown as part of a technology demo. Hence it may not be part of version 1, but I expect it will follow soon if not.

I really like Campaign Cartographer with the Dungeon Designer add-on. But it's Windows software so you would have to run it in a emulator. But, it costs money and it takes time to learn. Though you can make professional quality original maps with it perhaps easier than any other program. It all depends upon how original and how high-end you want your maps to look. If you just need "good" "functional" maps that look cool, the various tile mappers are going to be cheaper and quicker to make what you want.
    Thank you! I like the idea of CC but I’m not sure I’m tech savvy enough. A tile mapper seems to meet my level of cool and simplicity, but I want to make sure my limited budget is well spent/forward thinking. Perhaps I should buy the jpeg tiles and use GIMP or tiled, as recommended above. Then if and when FGU can support it, I’ll have that ability as well.

Thank you! I like the idea of CC but I’m not sure I’m tech savvy enough. A tile mapper seems to meet my level of cool and simplicity, but I want to make sure my limited budget is well spent/forward thinking. Perhaps I should buy the jpeg tiles and use GIMP or tiled, as recommended above. Then if and when FGU can support it, I’ll have that ability as well.
    Tiled is free, so thats a good way to get started. Its also really easy to learn/use.

Thread Information