5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 65 of 76 First ... 1555636465666775 ... Last
    Players were likely trying to use the external IP instead of internal while on same network.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Players were likely trying to use the external IP instead of internal while on same network.
    So the issue was that I was testing player connections within my home network using the alias which did not work. Trenloe was able to connect with the alias outside my network and I could connect internally with the ip address.

Just wanted to say thanks to the author and contributors of this thread. I literally had it open while talking with my ISP. Proud to say that I've finally completed the Port Forward Quest!

Hey All,
    First, Unity (FGU) works marvelous. I love it. My players love it. No issues there (or at least I hope not after I have monkeyed around with my router/AV settings). Classic (FGC) however is a different story. Got FGC through Steam and hoped to use it to host at a future point for friends who's systems are 5-10+ years old (and most notably not 64 bit). Run the connection test in FGC and come up "FAILURE." I have tried several combinations and looked for anyone who might have had similar ISP/AV setups and had similar problems. Here is my responses to the pinned questions.

1. Your LAN IP Address: 192.168.X.XX (edited)
    2. The first two sets (octects) of your WAN IP as displayed by Fantasy Grounds and as displayed by your Router: 75.172 could not get DSL modem to show WAN. Went to whatismyip.com and confirmed they are the same.
    3. Whether you are using Wired or Wireless (and not both): Wireless ***Update*** Tried it with wired as well with the same results.
    4. Confirmation that you have set your Adapter in Network and Sharing Centre to Private: Confirmed set to private.
    5. Confirmation of what AV you are running and whether you have set any exceptions: Norton, modified/created/deleted/recreated exceptions for FG classic only to allow traffic on port 1802 TCP.
    6. Post the results of the*tracert 8.8.8.8*command (if you have security concerns you can remove this bit once its been responded to):
    [Deleted, can provide upon request]

7. Confirmation as to what you have setup in your Router if changes have been made: Have set port forwarding from DSL modem to 192.168.X.X (edited) (shows as DNS server from "ipconfig /all" no effect), 192.168.X.X (edited) (only item shown on routing table suspecting it is the eero hardwired in and no effect) both given port 1802 TCP. Eero set to port forward on 1802 TCP to laptop. DSL modem is wired to eero. Laptop connects wirelessly to eero. I had also tried application forwarding. Nothing. Tried IPv4 forwarding. All with the setting of port 1802 TCP. Nothing.
    8. Confirmation you do or do not have any Virtualisation NICs: Not sure what you mean by this. Please explain. Though a report from running "netstat -r" shows:
    Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3

I tried the technique posted by Bidmaron (post #2 I think it was) for Comcast/Xfinity customers with no success.

It has been many years since I have had to do this level of computer/network stuff and finding out I am really rusty. There is not rush on getting myself up and running on FGC and hope that this can be done without the use of VPN. My experience has been that I have had to walk my FGU players through getting set up and that took quite a bit of time. Having to add another step to get FGC running would make it that much harder. Especially for some potential players who are still looking for the 3.5in drive.

Thank you in advance.

***Update***
    Determined that the problem does not exist from my modem back into my home network. It exists with my ISP (CenturyLink). They are of no help as they want me to create exceptions for EVERY IP that is supposed to connect to me. Though I suspect that the "tech support" had a difficult time understanding me. I determined that everything behind my modem is configured properly by performing a netstat -an | findstr "1802" while running FGC and having a computer connected to my home network logged on.
    Has there been thought to updating the networking capability of FGC to closer match FGU? Or is that a bridge too far?
    I will have to look into a VPN if I am going to utilize FGC to host games.
    Last edited by CD0369; August 29th, 2020 at 02:25. Reason: Edited and updated content.

I've been using Fantasy Grounds on several computers for over 10 years, and, for the first time, I'm stumped about why I am getting repeated connection test failures. I can't think of anything that has changed within my LAN since the connection problem appeared about a week ago, other than having installed a VPN client for a new job (which is not running when I try to open FG) and a huge storm that took out power and internet for about a week. Please let me know if you see anything that would prevent connections for Fantasy Grounds in what is shown below.

1. Your LAN IP Address:

2. The first two sets (octects) of your WAN IP as displayed by Fantasy Grounds and as displayed by your Router:
    FG: 173.28
    Router: 173.28

3. Whether you are using Wired or Wireless (and not both)
    Router is wired to the modem, but computer is connect to wireless

4. Confirmation that you have set your Adapter in Network and Sharing Centre to Private
    Yes, it is set to private

5. Confirmation of what AV you are running and whether you have set any exceptions
    McAfee LiveSafe, but the problem persists even when I turn off the firewall.
    > FG access set to allow all incoming and outgoing devices with Netguard turned off
    > 1802 TCP/IP & UDH ports set to open for all PCs
    I've also set port forwarding for 1802 TCP/IP & UDH on the modem itself for the router.

6. Post the results of the tracert 8.8.8.8 command (if you have security concerns you can remove this bit once its been responded to)
    Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 54 ms 2 ms 6 ms www.gryphoncare.com [192.168.1.1]
    2 6 ms 10 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
    3 16 ms 22 ms 151 ms 10.164.3.1
    4 14 ms 22 ms 21 ms 172.30.11.9
    5 29 ms 36 ms 27 ms 68-66-73-64.client.mchsi.com [68.66.73.64]
    6 34 ms 47 ms 35 ms po13.chgil001cr1.mchsi.com [68.66.72.41]
    7 37 ms 28 ms 55 ms po10.chgil001er1.mchsi.com [68.66.73.122]
    8 39 ms 36 ms 141 ms 72.14.194.2
    9 32 ms 42 ms 33 ms 74.125.251.149
    10 34 ms 38 ms 156 ms 108.170.238.139
    11 53 ms 35 ms 33 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

7. Confirmation as to what you have setup in your Router if changes have been made
    I have a model/router with the router disabled that accepts the cable coming into the house.
    My router is directly plugged into the modem.
    Two changes lately:
    1) Internet was out due to a storm for over a week.
    2) Added a VPN client, but that isn't connected (is completely shut down) when I'm trying to get FG connections.

8. Confirmation you do or do not have any Virtualisation NICs
    Not that I know of.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Fot5; August 28th, 2020 at 14:59.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fot5 View Post
    I've been using Fantasy Grounds on several computers for over 10 years, and, for the first time, I'm stumped about why I am getting repeated connection test failures. I can't think of anything that has changed within my LAN since the connection problem appeared about a week ago, other than having installed a VPN client for a new job (which is not running when I try to open FG) and a huge storm that took out power and internet for about a week. Please let me know if you see anything that would prevent connections for Fantasy Grounds in what is shown below.
    Does this apply to you? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important

About 6 weeks ago I had my ISP turn on Advanced Security on my account without notifying me. You're might have changed things on their end too.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I use Mediacom (cable). Anyone else in the midwest US know?

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I use Mediacom (cable). Anyone else in the midwest US know?
    See if when you log on to your account they have a link to anything resembling "Advanced Security". Cox, my ISP, calls it Panoramic Wifi, and it is basically a web based portal from the ISP side for viewing, logging, and setting security things for my Gateway. It will give me warnings about devices connected to my network, or security alerts about people trying to connect to my network, those sorts of things.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

1 54 ms 2 ms 6 ms www.gryphoncare.com [192.168.1.1]
    2 6 ms 10 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
    3 16 ms 22 ms 151 ms 10.164.3.1
    4 14 ms 22 ms 21 ms 172.30.11.9
    So Your modem is forwarded to your router, router is forwarded to computer, good. This kinda looks like your ISP switched to IPv6. I think.

Thread Information