5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    I agree with Myrdin. It seems like this would be better debated in a more general RPG forum; instead of the forum for a single RPG tool.

Regards,
    JPG

This is a general RPG forum. Non-FG related gaming is what it says.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...47-The-Commons
    The Commons
    Non-Fantasy Grounds related discussion about gaming.
    567 viewers of the thread seem to think it was something they were interested in reading about. It may be months late since apparently nobody reads SyFy.com and it only came to light because an RPG focused blog picked it up, but it helps the FG community know about something they might have never seen about the company that makes the game that drives Fantasy Grounds.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...-Holds-Steady!

https://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...olding-Steady!

Again as someone earlier asked, what if WotC claimed the number 426,411 streamers of D&D in 2017? How would you feel MoonWizard with them claiming your companies numbers as their own? Were they D&D numbers? Yes. Were they D&D streams? No.

And the direct question asked earlier, if Roll20 claimed that 426,411 users for their product instead of Fantasy Grounds?

I guess you are now ok with WotC infringing the previous case of dice imagery from Fantasy Grounds?

Why it pertains if because @500k people use Fantasy Grounds for one version of D&D or another as shown in those charts, and @100k users of Fantasy Grounds use Pathfinder. Also it shows a history with WotC claims and fraud. Forewarning people of their own product identity risks being stolen, not unlike SmiteWorks product identity was stolen in 2008.

So it is VERY relative to Fantasy Grounds as an...

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    RPG tool
    Whether there is more left to discuss or people just want to read the data and do their own research is for any viewer beyond the 567 that have already viewed the thread at this point.

Does Smiteworks Sponsor twitch streamers with access to Fantasy Grounds for their games? I was watching a Greyhawk twitch channel and Roll20 was mentioned as a sponsor. Initiative took like 3 minutes to straighten out in first combat. Just a thought!
    Currently GMing:
    * The Haunted Highlands - Castles & Crusades

Quote Originally Posted by Lexfire View Post
    Does Smiteworks Sponsor twitch streamers with access to Fantasy Grounds for their games? I was watching a Greyhawk twitch channel and Roll20 was mentioned as a sponsor. Initiative took like 3 minutes to straighten out in first combat. Just a thought!
    They used to, but the "learning curve" for the casual players of the larger RPG streamers was too high for them to continue to bother with. People just don't have 90 minutes to futz with the software to learn the basics of playing on it unless they are already using it, to stream on.

FG can't grow on Twitch either because it has the settings of its streams set to high where mobile users and people in paces around the world with poor internet can't get a decent stream without lag because Fantasy Grounds Fridays uses 1080p60 without being partners, which locks all viewers into that setting with no ability to turn it down with quality options. at least 720p30 would provide most mobile users to view the stream without it cutting out or lagging out or freezing as a non-partner streamer.

Not to mention FG will never get partner since it can't meet the requirements of 3 hour streams, 3 days a week; as it only has streams for 1 hour long on Fridays. So it has no chance of getting partner to get transcoding to be able to promote itself.

Which means FG has to rely on the staunchest user of FG to support and promote them.

Sponsoring would go a long way to promote FG usage on Twitch, but it isn't the only thing that would have to be done for FG to step up its game. Honestly, Fantasy Grounds College has done more to promote the usage of FG on Twitch than FG itself has.

You would have to pay a bunch of money, just to sponsor someone like Critical Role, but then they might not even use the software, in order to get the name out of Twitch.

Youtube has a few people sponsored, but they are the ones form the NolanT/roll20 incident and they all are only on a single Twitch channel. and it looks like WebDM actually uses Roll20 for Twitch streams.

Twitch and YouTube are entirely different beats. YouTube you have time to cut and edit things to upload a video, and people only get "the good stuff", but Twitch if you are fiddling with people that don't know how to use the software.. well just look at the fiasco that was RPGSportsTV on Nov 10 with people that had never played D&D or used roll20 before... the average gamers. Getting them to be able to use FG in time and live during a show, would be impossible.

There is really only 2 streams on Twitch that offer FG support to people live. If when Dave streams, but he is never in FG category, and rarely does FG streams anymore to promote it, and never does them in the Fantasy Grounds category, always the D&D category jumbled in with all the roll20 streams; and All Things Fantasy Grounds by Fantasy Grounds College. Which has been moving around categories where appropriate to try to spread FG to differing audiences.

Everyone else that still streams on Twitch using FG that didn't get tired of not being able to find players willing to learn the program and went back to Roll20, mostly just want to play their games. The only ones that actually ever promoted FG or cared about it, were the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

So there is a lot more work to do to promote FG on Twitch than just sponsoring someone, you have to find someone willing and able to use it, and those people are all in Fantasy Grounds College.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexfire View Post
    I believe yes they do. This is based on the video from DMDave? after the Roll20 fiasco talking about their incident with NolanT sometime back when he basically said they asked Nolan to sponsor him, Nolan said no, so they reached out to Doug at SmiteWorks and Doug was very helpful, etc.

That implies to me that FG does sponsor some streamers.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

This thread has served it's purpose to make everyone aware of the situation. I'm going to go ahead and close it now.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information