DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy Grounds Screen freez

Hello,

This error comes and go with each new update, i really don't know what is happening....

Summary:

Each time i load a campaign in FG the screen freez and i can't do anything. The only way i find to solved this is without closing the freezing FG instance open a parallel instance and load the same campaign.

Freez.PNG

Also, when i try to open the new instance i have this warning appearing saying that my xml campaign file is corrupted and the FG restored a backup. The thing is that this is done with all my campaigns even the one that came in the default package.

warning.PNG

What i try:

- reinstall FG.
    - delete all tokens, portraits and images add by me.
    - i'm not even using extensions.
    - change screen resolution.
    - Update Graphic drivers.
    - Load different campaigns in different rulesets.
    - use the steam verify file option.
    - alternate between live and testing version.

I can use FG because i open a parallel instance of the game and i cheat the error in that way but is really messy to open 2 instance only for the second one work. Also many times i GM in my own house so i need to open 3 instance of FG...1 with the freezing screen, 1 for me GM and other for my palyers.

Please, anyone has any solution with this?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by sebadiaz77; June 1st, 2019 at 06:31. Reason: to many images

That error message is simply stating that FG did not close correctly the last time it was open. (i.e. the final save and shut down did not occur)

This most often happens when you are running on Mac/Linux, because of the way that the Mac/Linux OS forces immediate shutdown instead of allowing the program to finish shutdown processing. For Mac/Linux, you need to shut down FG using the right click menu only.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    That error message is simply stating that FG did not close correctly the last time it was open. (i.e. the final save and shut down did not occur)

This most often happens when you are running on Mac/Linux, because of the way that the Mac/Linux OS forces immediate shutdown instead of allowing the program to finish shutdown processing. For Mac/Linux, you need to shut down FG using the right click menu only.

Regards,
    JPG
    Yes, the warning i understand but the screen freezing??

Blog Entries
    Are you loading a huge amount of data? Every module/book under the sun shared/open?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Are you loading a huge amount of data? Every module/book under the sun shared/open?
    Negative, i only have the core SF book and the AP 3 of Dead Sun. All official DLCs

Does it stay frozen "forever" or come back to life after a few seconds or so? Mine often freezes for a few seconds, then picks up where it left off and executes anything I did during the freeze (mouse clicks and keystrokes and stuff). I typically just right-click somewhere on the FG desktop to get some obvious indication of when it's come back to life (the radial menu shows up). I think it tends to do this when I switch to other programs and back, but I haven't worried about it enough to troubleshoot.

But, if yours is freezing up for a long time and never coming back to life, it sounds like something else is going on (file corruption somewhere, maybe). What OS (Windows, Mac, or Linux, and what version) are you running on your computer? Is Fantasy Grounds fully up-to-date?

The data directory is not removed/replaced during a reinstall of FG, so if the problem is there, it will remain after a reinstall. Maybe try using a fresh data directory and see if the problem goes away. You can do this by renaming or moving (don't delete) your current Fantasy Grounds data directory and then running FG again. It should prompt you with an error complaining that it cannot write to the data directory, and offer to run the updater to fix it. Allow it to run the updater, and it should make a fresh data directory. It will need to download all of your purchased modules again, so this may take some time. Once that finishes, try using FG normally and see if it freezes up like before.

Don't delete the old data directory, since it contains your campaign data (assuming you're the DM). If the fresh data directory solves the problem, then you can copy items (campaign folders, tokens, images, extensions, modules, etc.) selectively from the old directory to the new one, and hopefully the problem doesn't return.

I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    Does it stay frozen "forever" or come back to life after a few seconds or so? Mine often freezes for a few seconds, then picks up where it left off and executes anything I did during the freeze (mouse clicks and keystrokes and stuff). I typically just right-click somewhere on the FG desktop to get some obvious indication of when it's come back to life (the radial menu shows up). I think it tends to do this when I switch to other programs and back, but I haven't worried about it enough to troubleshoot.

But, if yours is freezing up for a long time and never coming back to life, it sounds like something else is going on (file corruption somewhere, maybe). What OS (Windows, Mac, or Linux, and what version) are you running on your computer? Is Fantasy Grounds fully up-to-date?

The data directory is not removed/replaced during a reinstall of FG, so if the problem is there, it will remain after a reinstall. Maybe try using a fresh data directory and see if the problem goes away. You can do this by renaming or moving (don't delete) your current Fantasy Grounds data directory and then running FG again. It should prompt you with an error complaining that it cannot write to the data directory, and offer to run the updater to fix it. Allow it to run the updater, and it should make a fresh data directory. It will need to download all of your purchased modules again, so this may take some time. Once that finishes, try using FG normally and see if it freezes up like before.

Don't delete the old data directory, since it contains your campaign data (assuming you're the DM). If the fresh data directory solves the problem, then you can copy items (campaign folders, tokens, images, extensions, modules, etc.) selectively from the old directory to the new one, and hopefully the problem doesn't return.

I hope this helps!
    Well, FG screen freeze forever, regarding my OS is Win10. The only thing i always do different is that when i reinstall i change the default folder where FG saves the campaigns. I'm going to try reinstall, choose the default folder location and copy my campaign in that folder.

You mention using a Steam verify file option - to confirm, are you launching FG through Steam? If so, make sure you disable the Steam overlay (assuming that is still an option in Steam).

A few other things to try:
    - Try launching FG from outside of Steam - launch the FantasyGrounds.exe application directly.
    - Are you running FG maximized? If so, try it windowed.
    - In the settings window (accessible from the main start up page before you load a campaign), turn on/off compatibility mode for Mac/Linux.
    - In settings make sure that Scaleui is 100%.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    How long is "forever"? 1 minute? 10 minutes? 60 minutes?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You mention using a Steam verify file option - to confirm, are you launching FG through Steam? If so, make sure you disable the Steam overlay (assuming that is still an option in Steam).

A few other things to try:
    - Try launching FG from outside of Steam - launch the FantasyGrounds.exe application directly.
    - Are you running FG maximized? If so, try it windowed.
    - In the settings window (accessible from the main start up page before you load a campaign), turn on/off compatibility mode for Mac/Linux.
    - In settings make sure that Scaleui is 100%.
    I try it outside of Steam and i have the same error.
    I try running it windowed and still freez after loading the campaign.
    Already play with the option of the compatibility, dindn't fix it.
    I have the UI 100%

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    How long is "forever"? 1 minute? 10 minutes? 60 minutes?
    Well actually trying and waiting i discover that its not actually "freeze" but with a literally 2 minute lag. For example, the campaign load, and i make a click in the "Story" button, after 2 minutes the Story window pop up, i do other click and after 1-2 minutes i have a response to my action. Is like i have a massive lag. The thing is that this lag don't happen in the other instance i open, only in the first one.
    Last edited by sebadiaz77; June 1st, 2019 at 20:25.

Thread Information