STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Products like these are created by FG community developers, of which there aren’t enough to go around. If there’s a particular product line that people would really love to see in FG then maybe consider becoming a community developer! You’re never going to make a lot of money and it’s mostly a labour of love, but if you want to see more products like these then consider getting involved.
    I'm quite a failure as a developer. I tried to learn coding as a kid (code camp in two different summers), in high school, in college, and on my own. I still can't code a damn thing. Other than Japanese those are the only Fs I've ever gotten in school.

I can do simple data entry style stuff, like getting items, spells, tables, etc into modules. But the minute opening up files and changing stuff gets involved that's where my skills end. So no races, classes, etc. So my current project is turning this 300-page monstrosity of text into a FG module. I can do that.

It also doesn't help that 90% of the best instructions are in videos and I can't learn from them, I need documents to look at while I'm doing something. I tried to use that new video on making races for 5e because I have two campaigns using Ixalan vampires from Planeshift so it would be nice to not have to manually enter all that junk over and over. Nope. Fail. If there was a page on the wiki like the effects one, maybe. Video? Never in a million years. which makes me the opposite of like 99% of the population, lol.

Blog Entries
    Most modules and products do not require any "developer" skills. As you put it, it's data entry through the existing FG GUI.

As for videos, I too find them a horrible media to learn from, so you are not alone But, they are "easier" to create than a written and illustrated document so it takes the author less time to do.

You can check out the link in my sig for module creation. It's not a how to guide, but rather a set of recommendations. Does not include any info on races or classes though.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yep, most FG modules can be created without any coding - it’s data entry, formatting, prettifying, etc. - hence why I made the suggestion for people who want to see things in FG to help out in that process!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I am a community developer and I started converting the Midgard stuff over to FG for my own use. All you need to do is fill in the boxes inside FG. If you want a pretty reference manual, celestian’s author extension Des a decent job of it.

I became a developer by converting one module and now I do more when I have time. I am not a programmer and don’t really understand XML but I make do.
    Last edited by Myrdin Potter; March 24th, 2019 at 06:28.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Thread Information