DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Blog Entries

5E Effect DMGTYPE not overcoming resistances

FantasyGrounds_2018-07-23_17-13-45.png

It's my understanding that DMGTYPE should change the damage of an entire attack.

In this screenshot you can see the following:
    1. PC punched a target dummy, which resisted the bludgeoning damage
    2. PC was granted effect that should change damage type to force
    3. PC's damage is now bludgeoning,force & the target dummy still resisted the attack

Am I right that this is broken, or am I misunderstanding something?
    Window Saver X - Create and edit multiple presets of your often-used windows, then deploy them quickly and easily at need.

Blog Entries
    You are misunderstanding

If damage has more than one type, then if any of those types are resisted, then all the damage is resisted. Same thing with immune etc. In short, it works opposite of what you are expecting. There are some detailed explanations of this including discussions fromMoon Wizard if you want to search the forums for it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

DMGTYPE does not change the damage type but adds that damage type to the damage already being done. So as you can see in your example the PC is doing bludgeoning and force damage. If you want to change the damage type of a particular attack then you'll need to create a new weapon line specifying that damage type or a damage effect that specifies that damage type. Damage type is most used when a spell or ability adds the magic damage type to a weapon or other attack and thus enabling an ordinary weapon to overcome resistance to normal damage.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information