DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Install FG and AppData on a SSD?

I'm looking at a new system after 8+ years. SSDs seem to be pretty popular now.

Are there any negatives from installing FG on a SSD and/or locating the AppData directory on one?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

FG is installed on my SSD and I have not noted any issues.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Absolutely no negatives, only positives
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Other than it being a high re-write application and SSD's have a lower threshold for write times & when they fail, they give little to no warning when they do. I recommend setting up a RAID.

Blog Entries
    Reliability of new/current SSDs is much better than it was, but they are still less than rotating drives.

Regardless, to quote what someone elsewhere recently said; "There are two types of people: those that have had a hard drive failure, and those that will have a hard drive failure."

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

JohnD, are you talking about an external SSD?

If it is an internal SSD (and especially if it is your boot drive) the only difference you will notice is the blinding access speeds. Do a backup once a week onto an external drive, and that'll alleviate any fears you may have about reliability. I got a 128 Gb one a long time ago - at least 7, maybe 8 years - and I have had no catastrophic failure yet

I am building a new system this year and it will definitely have an SSD as its main drive.

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Quote Originally Posted by Maasq View Post
    and I have had no catastrophic failure yet
    Oh, oh!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

My old computer, a 2003 Dell, took a few minutes to boot up in its last days. In 2014, I built a computer with an SSD as its main drive. I'm able to start working in 20 seconds or less. Fantasy Grounds is installed on the SSD and runs like a champ.

Two things: 1) my SSD is 220GB, but it's already running out of space. Get more drive space, especially if you're a PC video gamer; 2) Visit Linus Tech Tips when researching. Linus offers helpful--often short--videos about computers, and he describes the basics. I consulted his site when building my computer. Glad I did.

Blog Entries
    Fantasy Grounds itself is not likely to see a great benefit from the SSD.
    Fantasy Grounds largely loads things into RAM and plays from there.

Windows will totally benefit from being installed on the SSD though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maasq View Post
    JohnD, are you talking about an external SSD?

If it is an internal SSD (and especially if it is your boot drive) the only difference you will notice is the blinding access speeds. Do a backup once a week onto an external drive, and that'll alleviate any fears you may have about reliability. I got a 128 Gb one a long time ago - at least 7, maybe 8 years - and I have had no catastrophic failure yet

I am building a new system this year and it will definitely have an SSD as its main drive.

Maasq
    I was thinking about a 500 GB internal drive, one with the new technology (forget M.2 or something...). The OS would go on there, plus my more used programs is what has been suggested to me (and there isn't a program I use more than FG...).

On the other hand, damned makes a good point. The new system would have at least 16 GB of ram as well, so I would probably be just fine installing on a regular HD. I was simply wondering if there was any kind of a big advantage (or disadvantage) to putting FG on it as well.

Thanks everyone.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information