DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Could not load/creat or even reinstall (solved: over-zealous anti-malware)

As per title: could not load or create content/campaigns.

Decided to backup all the campaigns and reinstall the whole thing.

Now I am instead stuck in time out for getting product. Would the two issues be related? It would seem odd if this were the case seeing as there has been no problems accessing content when *completely offline* in the past.
    Last edited by Lillhans; June 7th, 2018 at 14:23. Reason: issue solved

What type of license do you have? What does it say at the top right of the load screen; v.3.3.5 what? Have you added a rule to your anti-virus software to allow FG to access the internet unhindered? Has you AV quarantined FG (if you are using something like Avast - this has been known to cause issues). Where is your data folder stored? When you say you couldn't start or load campaigns did you get any errors? What happened when you tried to start a new campaign? Basically you haven't given us enough information to help diagnose the issue (like even if you are on a PC or a mac)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I can see your point...

Here goes

Ultimate Licensee on 3.5.5 (PC)
    No error message when trying to create or load: the campaign/ruleset list was there and you could toggle each item, only nothing would happen when pressing the button to load/create. No loading whatsoever. Just dud.
    No data-folder conflict (same setup as for the past 3 years) either.
    Have AV set up to allow for FG to run free but....

...the crook has since been found to be Malwarebytes which after an over-night update appears to have gone 100% out of bounds.

What's curious is that the perceived block of create/load campaign was in fact just a very very long delay: minutes with MWB active, and usual swiftness with MWB disabled. I am not entirely impressed with an anti-malware program that on the one hand blocks an application from connecting to the outside world but on the other has no problem with - ultimately - allowing said program to affect

With no way of white-listing individual programs in Malwarebytes, this means one of the applications has to go...and it's not going to be FG

Thanks for the help, and sorry about the lack of full disclosure!

Jolly good, glad you got it sorted out.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Here's where to report false positives to Malewarebytes

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...omment=1247505
    Thanks! Although, technically speaking there is no log or such to find that I can find at least: and that's not too surprising since MWB itself doesn't even register that it has picked up on Fantasy Grounds supposedly being malware.

So, on the one hand MWB block Fantasy Grounds functionality - but on the other it doesn't even register that it is blocking functionality.
    Last edited by Lillhans; June 9th, 2018 at 18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Here's where to report false positives to Malewarebytes

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...omment=1247505
    That link also provides information on setting Malwarebytes to allow an application to use the Internet. You want to allow FantasyGrounds.exe and FGUpdaterEngine.exe which are usually located in \Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds

Although, some users have reported that adding these exceptions in Malwarebytes didn't seem to work. Only closing Malwarebytes completely allowed FG to update.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 9th, 2018 at 18:13.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    That link also provides information on setting Malwarebytes to allow an application to use the Internet. You want to allow FantasyGrounds.exe and FGUpdaterEngine.exe which are usually located in \Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds

Although, some users have reported that adding these exceptions in Malwarebytes didn't seem to work. Only closing Malwarebytes completely allowed FG to update.
    Yeah I would agree: in-app white-listing didn't work for me either. Turning off the web-protection, only, seemed enough to maintain full FG functionality though (i.e. could keep wormhole, ransomware and malicious code protections on). So, something about their real-time web fence is freaking out over FG. What I have noticed is that my user name in the content management section had a long string of jibberish symbols attached to it, but there was no problem erasing and typing it in anew for enabling purchase downloads/updates once the Malwarebyte web protection had been un-toggled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillhans View Post
    Yeah I would agree: in-app white-listing didn't work for me either. Turning off the web-protection, only, seemed enough to maintain full FG functionality though (i.e. could keep wormhole, ransomware and malicious code protections on). So, something about their real-time web fence is freaking out over FG. What I have noticed is that my user name in the content management section had a long string of jibberish symbols attached to it, but there was no problem erasing and typing it in anew for enabling purchase downloads/updates once the Malwarebyte web protection had been un-toggled.
    Agreed. I went through and added exclusions to the entire FG folder and FG Steam folder. No luck whatsoever. As soon as the web protection setting was toggled off, success on the test and instant connections.

Blog Entries
    One of the Malware posts has a link to where you can submit false positives to the company so they (hopefully) stop blocking it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information