STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Magic Traps

Magic Traps

I've always had an issue with magic traps having a detect DC for Rogues to challenge. To me, their inspection would never reveal that a fireball is triggered to hit them in the face when they open a chest. I'm curious how others rule on this?

Blog Entries
    What rule system? I play it differently in depending upon the rule system and campaign expectations.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

In any version of D&D I play it that a rogue can detect a physical trap. So if there us a trigger such as a pressure plate to set off the fireball they could attempt to find and disarm it even though they might not know what it did.

I'm specifically referring to D&D 5E in this instance.

Ok characters have powers that are at least supernatural so why would it bother you that they can detect traps. I don’t know 5e but every other edition of d&d has rogues/thieves that can detect magical traps. Heck in early editions they even had a chance to read magic! (Scrolls)

Blog Entries
    Thieves/Rogues are trained to detect traps and many traps are magical so it would not be unreasonable for a Rogue to detect one.

You don't have to be a magic user to detect magic. If it does bother you then increase the difficulty of the DC; but for me that's unfair. Is it the case that you don't want these traps to be detected and blow up anyway? If so just do that
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Ok characters have powers that are at least supernatural so why would it bother you that they can detect traps. I don’t know 5e but every other edition of d&d has rogues/thieves that can detect magical traps. Heck in early editions they even had a chance to read magic! (Scrolls)
    Actually, in AD&D (1st edition), thieves explicitly could not find magical traps. The ability to find magical traps was introduced in 2nd edition AD&D, at half the normal chance.

Having said that, it makes sense to me that there are signs that suggest the presence of a magical trap, which rogues would be trained to look for.

In D&D 5E, any character (not just a rogue) can detect a trap by making the appropriate check - usually Wisdom (Perception). However, this varies greatly from trap to trap, and it's certainly possible for a given trap to be described as undetectable other than by magic.
    Last edited by Callum; January 1st, 2018 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You don't have to be a magic user to detect magic. If it does bother you then increase the difficulty of the DC; but for me that's unfair. Is it the case that you don't want these traps to be detected and blow up anyway? If so just do that
    It's not that I don't want them found, just having a problem wrapping my head around it. But, good comments here of a different perspective. It's not that I want to nerf Rogues, I like the idea that they are trained specifically for this. I need to work on my narrative concerning this.

Magical traps with glyphs, runes, and the like can be spotted by anyone actively searching for anything unusual at my table via a Wisdom (Perception) check.

Knowing how to disarm the trap requires a Intelligence (Investigation) check.

Actually disarming the trap of a magical nature requires a Intelligence (Arcana) check.

Thread Information