5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

How do you set Xanathar Story/Table Templates Player-facing so they generate?

How does a DM set his game up so that players can access the embedded tables and be able to manipulate the output options (like set it to story)? How does a DM allow players to access the Xanathar Backgrounds story template for example in a manner in which the players get access to the generate button and so can use it to create characters?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Share the Player module with the players. It should have everything you are looking for and want them to have.
    Screen Shot 05-17-18 at 05.25 PM.PNG

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Players can't actually generate anything from a Template since they can't create stories.

So the DM would need to generate the Story from the template and share that with the players.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Couldn't the Templates generate a Note entry for a player instead of a Story entry, or even Note for player and DM as I'd much rather everyone gets to use the templates. Is there much structurally different between the two (behind the scenes, as it were) that would make this difficult or not possible? And if it is possible would that make the templates available in Manage Characters? (I can't recall if you can make notes there or not, I'm guessing not).

Having the DM generate and share it is far from ideal, particularly for Xanathar's Background Story Template , as the player won't be able to make any adjustments to it.

Story Templates are only available to the GM at present. And they only generate stories. I think having them generate anything else such as notes would be quite a substantial re-write of the code.

I can understand the frustration but I thought that Story Templates would be a good idea when I did Xanathar and Mordenkainen. I could leave them out but I think that denies the possibility of their use altogether. As noted in my reply to your other post you could add this request to the wish list so that the devs are aware of your request.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

You know, I forget sometimes that a lot of this stuff is "additional content" for FG that doesn't actually appear in the books. I'll try to remember that next time I come across something that isn't quite working the way I would like it to.

Thread Information