5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Content Purchased On DMsGuild

I notice that most of the published adventures are on sale this month on dmsguild.com. The answer to my question may be obvious, but I have to ask before I drop a chunk of change. If I purchase SmiteWorks content over there, will those purchased WotC published adventures be reflected in my FG account? Meaning, will they be automatically updated when I start Fantasy Grounds and do an update check, or be flagged as needing an update when appropriate? Will they be recognized as owned in a future Complete the Bundle package?

Also, why is the Monster Manual not named as such on the dmsguild? Is the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack the same as the D&D Monster Manual?

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

Content (adventure.mod's) bought on the DMS Guild do not update via Fantasy Grounds. When you buy something there, you have to move the download into the FG folders - .mods into Modules and .exts into extensions. If the source is updated on DMSGuild then you can download the newer stuff from there and repeat the move process. Usually the updates are free and flagged in the "My Account" area on DMSGuild.

You are correct - the Complete Core Monster Pack is the same as the Monster Manual. The name was recently changed on FG but I'm not sure why it shows differently on DMSGuild.

@RustyInRT,

Things you buy on DMsGuild will need to be installed yourself. The come as either .ext (extensions) or .mod (module).

In %appdata%/Fantasy Grounds/, you'll see folders named for these. Toss the appropriately named files in these folders. Restart FG.

Dave
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Whilst what Garth and db is true of normal modules the official WOTC ones are encrypted and only downloadable from Smiteworks - no matter where you bought them. I suspect that after purchase on the DMs guild you'll get some kind of email telling you how to redeem the purchase. The DMsGuild would have to inform Smiteworks of your purchase. I'm not entirely sure how the thing works, but it will do somehow.

EDIT: One other thing. The complete the bundle package is not as far as I am aware available vis DMs guild. It is only available if you buy everything from either the Smiteworks site or from Steam. By that i mean you will need to buy everything from the one source - you can't buy some from one site and some from the other. So your answer is no purchases from the DMs Guild will not be recognised for a complete the bundle package. They will of course get updated and you will get the usual prompts in respect of updates etc, no matter where you buy them from.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; May 3rd, 2018 at 18:42.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I didn't know that official content like PHB, MM, DMG were available on DMsGuild.

Thanks Z.

Dave
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dberkompas View Post
    I didn't know that official content like PHB, MM, DMG were available on DMsGuild.

Thanks Z.

Dave
    They are. For example; https://www.dmsguild.com/product/185...ore-Class-Pack

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I didn't know that either. I had to go look after I responded to this message this morning. The file type listed on DMSGuild is a .exe instead of a .mod so I'm sure Zac hit it on the head that it's some sort of link that tells FG that you bought the module. **shrug**

Zac also makes a great point about buying products towards the "Completing the Bundle" package. It's a great discount when you get there. In the meantime, buying directly from Smiteworks is better for them and better for us (fans) in the long run.

OK, here's what happens. When you check out it asks you to enter your FG username. Then your purchased library shows a download available but that download is just FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf and you are seriously thinking WTF. But they send you an email telling you how to get your purchased download. (If you are like me, you don't find this out until you send them a support question asking WTF and they reply in essence "check your email, dummy.")

The email basically tells you to restart FG and make sure the username on the setup screen is the one you specified in your purchase. Then FG downloads it for you and will thereafter add it to the stuff it checks for updates. That's what I was concerned about so I'm happy.

Zac is correct. It doesn't show up as purchased in my FG store so a future Complete the Bundle is now out of the question, but that wasn't going to happen anyway. The only downside is I can't peruse the FG store and see at a glance which rulebooks/supplements/adventures I have already purchased, but, oh well.

Thread Information