FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    I'm afraid that I would never agree to that ruling. It is a first level spell and all the damage is simultaneous.

- Robert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhammer2 View Post
    I'm afraid that I would never agree to that ruling. It is a first level spell and all the damage is simultaneous.

- Robert
    So if someone fires two arrows the damage is simultaneous?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by rhammer2 View Post

- Robert
    Is cool, people can homebrew / nerf whatever they want in the game. It is still worth noting for those who play the game RAW/RAI though.

I do wonder though, do you keep this consistent across all attacks in the game? like if a fighter hit 3 times it would be one save? Or eldritch blast / scorching ray.
    And in that case do you also nerf hunters mark / hex and similar buff spells so that they only apply once?
    Or are you only applying it this way because it is an auto hit spell (something I would say is countered by it only being 1d4+1 per missile and being fully countered by shield)

Something to keep in mind, magic missile becomes mighty weak when it comes to triggering concentration saves if you nerf it in this manner. Mathematically you need to cast it in a level 5 slot to be able to reliably increase the concentration save DC to 12 (with a max of 17 if they get 4's on all 7 of the dice).

Still, as I said originally people run all sorts of homebrew content and rules.

I think it is the word simultaneously that is the problem. A fighter doesn't hit three times simultaneously, nor does eldritch blast or scorching ray. The others you mention just add to damage rather than being separate attacks.

I've never used Magic Missile as a sort of big hit by combining the missiles in one clump, and I agree that you would need extraordinary bad luck to fail a concentration check by getting hit with 5 or less points of damage. Combining them however does skew things considerable making the potential saving throw much higher than I think is intended.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Actually, it's about average luck to fail a concentration check against 1 point of damage since the DC of the Con save is at least 10 for any concentration check due to damage.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    Actually, it's about average luck to fail a concentration check against 1 point of damage since the DC of the Con save is at least 10 for any concentration check due to damage.
    Ah, yes. So it is.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I think it is the word simultaneously that is the problem. A fighter doesn't hit three times simultaneously, nor does eldritch blast or scorching ray. The others you mention just add to damage rather than being separate attacks.

I've never used Magic Missile as a sort of big hit by combining the missiles in one clump, and I agree that you would need extraordinary bad luck to fail a concentration check by getting hit with 5 or less points of damage. Combining them however does skew things considerable making the potential saving throw much higher than I think is intended.
    Correct, when there is a separate attack roll, the attacks are separate.

- Robert

I have found another way to do it you can Right Click on the Damage Button select Add Action then select Add Damage and then you have setup the different damage types for the spell.
    So I have three different damage types setup: 1d4 + 1 ^ 2d4 + 2 ^ 3d4 + 3.

Quote Originally Posted by terezin2015 View Post
    I have found another way to do it you can Right Click on the Damage Button select Add Action then select Add Damage and then you have setup the different damage types for the spell.
    So I have three different damage types setup: 1d4 + 1 ^ 2d4 + 2 ^ 3d4 + 3.
    I think the point of the discussion is that this is the incorrect way to do it. Each missile is a separate attack so you would only have one damage string with 1d4+1 and apply this three (or more) times to the target.

Blog Entries
    That approach also just adds dice, not modifiers so you end up with 2d4+1 instead of +2 etc....
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information