STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

WTF Happend to upgrade notifications

I'm sorry did my spending $1,100 comment 1 week ago not resonant with you people about upgrade notices

Yes - you almost screwed another game tonight because you put out an UPDATE

Seriously Doug! Is it that hard to run a professional software company!

You are beginning to piss me off with these updates and down time my players and I spend

FIX IT! OR I am going to Roll20

I'm confused.

* We did provide notifications on our forum for the update, which was a small update with a handful of bug fixes.
    * I communicated extra information with the extension developers so they could double-check their extensions, though very few if any should be affected based on the changes.
    * If the players update to this version, but not the GM; then they can still play without any issues, and it will use the GM's version of the rulesets. So, players upgrading would have no impact on a game, only if the GM updates.
    * During the earlier discussion, there was much discussion about informing GMs not to update right before a game; and I've seen that message communicated by several users over the last couple weeks.

Other than that, it's pretty standard that software provides an update notification, which the user can choose to follow or not.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    I'm sorry did my spending $1,100 comment 1 week ago not resonant with you people about upgrade notices

You know, I didn't update at all and had a fine game tonight. I'll update tomorrow when I have time to check each of my extensions. I don't remember anything forcing me to update tonight. You can't blame Doug because you chose to update (or your GM did). Seriously, you were given plenty of good advice last time on what to expect, where the limitations are, and what are your responsibilities. Just because you yell on a forum doesn't mean that the company is going to make all their community developers drop what they are doing at 5 pm. on a Tuesday night and immediately update extensions or send you a personal email informing you that a specific extension is not going to work for a few days. None of your $1,100 worth of products are causing your trouble. It's the free third-party extensions that is. You were told that last time.

You are beginning to piss me off with these updates and down time my players and I spend

Honestly, with an attitude like that, you won't be missed.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries

Without throwing any stones, what was it that almost ruined the game?

Were you hoping to get an email yesterday warning that it was coming today?

I know that ones of my players has had issues with all the screen displaying and I think this update would fix it and I would,ah e been happier if it was one day faster.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    I dont understand the angst.
    Ok I do understand the angst - its annoying when things dont work.
    What I dont understand is how I can divorce myself from having any responsibility in the matter.
    I loaded the community developed extensions that modified the way the developers intended things to work.
    I unpacked a ruleset and didnt remove it before/after an update.
    I chose to press the red upgrade button prior to beginning a game.

I made some decisions in this process and they had an impact on my experience with the software.

If I make a decision to load extensions from the forums I need to also check the forums for news and updates etc.
    If I make customisations or unpack rulesets I also need to manage them and clean them up.
    If Im about to run a game for my table and Im on my slow internet I dont hit update now at 5 minutes to the hour.

Cloud Software also performs updates that cause things to behave differently than they did before.
    Moving to a hosted table top solution just changes the specific types of issues you experience around upgrades.

Blue dreamer, remind us again how you think updates would be performed by a professional software company....

Are you complaining because it didn't ask you after you pushed the button if you really wanted to do the upgrade because it might scramble your game?

Are you complaining because the software didn't automatically email your players with a warning not to upgrade on your personal game night?(which MW just said would not be a problem anyway)

I saw at least 3 notices about the update coming, including one right before it was posted. Were the words "I'm pushing an update" hard to understand? Do you have another suggestion on how MW should word the announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I* We did provide notifications on our forum for the update, which was a small update with a handful of bug fixes.
    You said you would send emails - I don't see and email

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I* If the players update to this version, but not the GM; then they can still play without any issues, and it will use the GM's version of the rulesets. So, players upgrading would have no impact on a game, only if the GM updates.
    Not true, one of the players took the update and could not connect

I did not update 1 player did.

<font color="#660066">'Joe' connected</font>
    <font color="#660066">Host (3.3.2) is running different version than client (3.3.3).</font>
    Last edited by bluedreamer; October 4th, 2017 at 14:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    You know, I didn't update at all and had a fine game tonight. I'll update tomorrow when I have time to check each of my extensions. I don't remember anything forcing me to update tonight. You can't blame Doug because you chose to update (or your GM did). Seriously, you were given plenty of good advice last time on what to expect, where the limitations are, and what are your responsibilities. Just because you yell on a forum doesn't mean that the company is going to make all their community developers drop what they are doing at 5 pm. on a Tuesday night and immediately update extensions or send you a personal email informing you that a specific extension is not going to work for a few days. None of your $1,100 worth of products are causing your trouble. It's the free third-party extensions that is. You were told that last time.

Honestly, with an attitude like that, you won't be missed.
    I didn't update 1 player did, 3rd party extensions have nothing to do with it - I expect software to stay backwards compatible between 1 minor version update. I have over 2GB of purchased content - which takes hours and HORUS to download. The reason I use VTT is because I can't play in person. Now stop thing everybody has Gigabit internet and let the company solve the problem of
    A) let it be backwards compatible.
    B) EMAILING PEOPLE
    C) telling people how big the update is

I pay a lot of money and their salary and they are not making me happy with the service. In two weeks they promised to send out emails about updates and they already forgot - how hard is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    Without throwing any stones, what was it that almost ruined the game?
    The fact that a player could not connect because they upgraded, which means I have to take the upgrade. Of which I could only take parts of (the rules part) which took 30min from a 2 hour game session and then none of the books I purchased work because I didn't have 4 hours to download them

Thread Information