STAR TREK 2d20

Creating note in Infernal

Hey guys, hopefully this is just a quick one.

In the chat you can use different languages and only those who understand those languages can read it, which is awesome. I am wanting to take the same idea and add it to a note however, as I want to give this to the players. I was thinking I could just create an item and have it "unidentified" until one of them is either able to read it, or find someone who can read it, but I'd much rather for this to appear as a note. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    It's certainly possible. But I suspect it would require a lot of XML LUA coding. You might even find you have to create a new object type.

I suspect one of the coding guru's will be along soon to put a better perspective on just what you would have to do.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

From what I understand you're asking Darker_Homes this isn't possible within the standard FG interface without adding in a whole new window structure or limiting the functionality of the existing story entries. FYI - if you, the GM is creating text entries to share with the players these should usually be created in a "Story" entry, not a "Notes" entry. "Notes" are aimed at players taking their own campaign notes during the game. Story entries, whereas superficially they look the same as notes, have a lot more functionality for the GM.

The limiting factor in doing this is that Fantasy Grounds fonts are hard coded within a formattedtextcontrol - the control that is used for story entries. You can only specify the font for 5 areas within that control: normal, bold, italic, bolditalic, title. These have to be coded in FG XML before the window is opened. So, to display the Infernal font, for example, you'd have to create a new definition in the FG XML (and do all the coding around changing that, etc.) or change the "italic" font (for example) to be Infernal - but this would be hard coded and would effect previous entries using italics.

I think your best approach would be:
    1) Write the text in the chat window using the Infernal language. Resize the chat window (unlock it first) so that the text looks OK.
    2) Screenshot the portion of the chat window showing the text using Windows snipping tool or similar screen grab application.\
    3) Save the resulting screen grab of the text as an image in the FG campaign images directory.
    4) Share the image with the relevant players.

Here's an example of this process, using the text from post #1. The left side shows the text created in the chat window, the right is the resulting image (grabbed and saved using windows snipping tool) that you can share with your players:

You could then have the translated text stored in a story entry, ready to share with the player/s when they can translate it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That actually looks like exactly what I need! The session had already started before I got your reply, so I just threw it in the chat, but I'll definitely be sneakily adding this in this way so it's there for the future!

Thanks for the response!

I once made 5 maps with only 1 being correct and 5 being totally wrong. Depending on the survial rolls each player got a different map, but they didnt know that! They were some arguments about which way to go bahahaha....
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Thread Information