5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

D&D Stargate - Planescape Campaign Idea

My last effort as an FG DM fell apart after a while due to players frequently not being able to make a regular timeslot. We shifted to an "Agree when the next session will be" schedule, and finally one session we figured we'd arrange it later. But we never got around to it. I'd like to give it another go, so I've been playing in a couple of games to get used to online playing again, and trying to wrap my head around the DM side of things to avoid wasting too much play time there.

I have an idea that I think (I hope) might mitigate the player schedule issue a bit, and I'm wondering if anyone has done anything similar, managed to make it work, come across any issues I haven't thought of.

The basic premise is Planescape + Forgotten Realms (& Al'Qadim, Maztica, Kara Tur) + Ravenloft + Dark Sun . . . etc. = D&D Stargate.

Player home base would be Sigil, from there they'd be sent via portal on their various adventures. At the start of each adventure (not session, I tend to think one-session adventures lack depth) there would usually be a few different options for the party. Players would have at least two characters each, and the party can select which adventure to go on and which group of characters to take. The stay-at-home characters would still get xp to match those on the adventure, so character level wouldn't affect the choice. If the players are in the mood for a dungeon I could simply portal them to square 1, or I can drop them in a city for a session of character interactions.

So, players wouldn't necessarily have to commit to play longer than the duration of one adventure. There's potential for the backup character to be sent as a reinforcement, in the even of a death. It shouldn't be too difficult to introduce a new player, either as a reinforcement through the portal or just as a member of the next team that goes out.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, potential problems, etc. I should be aware of?
    Last edited by The High Druid; April 27th, 2017 at 14:02.

Blog Entries
    IMO, as a DM, you actually have quiet a bit of leverage over scheduling. I know you want to be accommodating (and so do I). But, being too flexible often leads to the problem you encountered, the game failing because of schedules.

There is a really good blog about building a gaming group; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...m-Gaming-Group

But, if you have already decided to DM, then you may not need to go to that level. I would suggest you find a time and day that works for you, then advertise that. Make that the required play schedule. After a half dozen sessions or so you can start being a little more flexible, but you will probably find you don't have to. By that time everyone already has it in their schedule and it will be infrequent that someone is unavailable.

That being said, you idea would help build you a core group of players. I read a blog a few weeks back where a DM started doing something similar a few years ago, now he has something like an email list of 60 players he pulls from each time he starts a new adventure.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by aflevine View Post
    It sounds like a very action-oriented approach to D&D with minimal role-play. From a GM perspective, I can see that lack of continuity attracting players who enjoy short adventures that are over quickly.
    I don't agree--I didn't watch 17 seasons of Stargate because they never developed the characters. This seems very fun--as a DM you get to flex out and run with whatever feels fun for that adventure. As a player you have a "job" giving you some direction, but nothing locking you down, making room for backstory and character development.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Quote Originally Posted by aflevine View Post
    It sounds like a very action-oriented approach to D&D with minimal role-play. From a GM perspective, I can see that lack of continuity attracting players who enjoy short adventures that are over quickly.
    Not necessarily action-oriented, but certainly short adventures until it seems I have a settled group.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    There is a really good blog about building a gaming group; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...m-Gaming-Group.
    That was mentioned in another thread and partly inspired the idea. I wanted a mechanism for running one-shots, or at least short adventures that would potentially fit with something longer running.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    This seems very fun--as a DM you get to flex out and run with whatever feels fun for that adventure. As a player you have a "job" giving you some direction, but nothing locking you down, making room for backstory and character development.
    Pretty much what I'm aiming for, allowing the group to pull their jobs off a noticeboard and pursue the one they think is most interesting. Nothing to stop them having whole sessions just picking where they want to go by running around Sigil chasing down leads.

well that sound like a blast. when you get to looking for players Id be glade to play a plan hopping campaign . keep me in mind

I think it's brilliant. You could make it episodic, unless you wanted long overarching stories. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluepaw View Post
    I think it's brilliant. You could make it episodic, unless you wanted long overarching stories. I love it.
    Short term plan is for one off adventures (a few sessions each), if the group settles the one-offs may start to become connected.

Sounds like a great idea.

DM-Kevin - Current campaign running: D&D 5.0 Tomb of Annihilation -

Thread Information