5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Wireless is not optimum. There are several cases where network contention caused untenable problems. Wired is preferred as Ethernet is designed to handle contention gracefully. If you are a GM that shares a lot of stuff, wireless can be a significant problem. This is only if you are using wireless to connect to local users. Not a problem if your users are connecting through internet and you are on wireless as a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by dikdastard View Post
    It's all in the various walkthroughs
    Can you point me in the direction of the walkthroughs you are mentioning? I went and looked at the thread you started and didn't see anything linked there. Thank you!

OK, I figured it out! Thanks to the suggestions given above on where to look.

It was the Windows Firewall on my hosted laptop that caused the issue. Here's why: The virtual adaptor is automatically given the status of "public" vs. "private" in networking. So, I had to go into Windows Firewall, and change fantasygrounds to allow for both public and private traffic.

dikdastard was correct in that you have to use the virtual IP address to connect, which is 192.168.137.1 in cases of Internet Connection Sharing. So with this setup, I have this 2nd laptop connected via Ethernet cable (crossover cable not necessary if its a modern hardware with auto-MDI). This allows it to connect to my host laptop via super fast ethernet, and it also still allows the client laptop to have internet access through my host laptop's WIFI connection, which is much more stable for some reason. The only thing I did was turn WIFI off on the client laptop to ensure its using the ethernet connection.

I think this setup will be great! If I have multiple clients in the future, I could either use a cheapo hub/switch where they all connect to it, and I'm hosting. Or if all of their WIFI is fine, then they can just connect to my home's WIFI.

Hope this writeup helps the next person wanting to set up local FG play.

-Beldak

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldak View Post

Hope this writeup helps the next person wanting to set up local FG play.

-Beldak
    Yep, thanks for filling us in on the solution. Always good to document it for the next one searching for an answer

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information