FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Help with an extension

Posted this in the Workshop but thought I'd try here. Can anyone here create a custom extension? If you can, of course I would compensate you. This kind of thing is a little out of my expertise. I'm looking to make the player's die roll what I want them to. Not the animated dice, just the die icon with the text number, it doesn't matter that it doesn't match the animated die. This would mainly be for attack rolls.

Thanks,
    Mike
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Blog Entries
    Have you read the previous posts on this subject? The possibility of such has been discussed before (which is ok that you are bringing it up again).

The discussion usually comes down to how you could implement this type of thing without messing up the "workflow" or interrupting things so that they players don't know that their rolls are being changed. Plus, you would have to remove the visual die rolls, since they are done with a physics engine and can't be forced to show a specific number.

In short, if you don't want the players to know the rolls are tampered with, then you can't practically do it. If you don't mind that they know, then you effectively have to interrupt every roll and have it approved or altered by the GM. (Just having the GM enter the value for the next roll is dangerous, because players often roll out of order or before you are ready for them to roll).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Hi Lord Entrails, thanks for your reply. It's OK, that the visual die roll comes up on the animated die and does not match the die icon with the text number in it. There is already a small glitch in FG when the animated die occasionally does not match the die icon text number. My players are used to it and we've agreed to go with the text roll when they don't match up. I think I can be fast enough to input the number before they roll. I won't queue them to roll until I'm ready on my end. If they roll out of turn, I'll ask them to roll again.

I also don't want this for every single roll they make. Only for the occasional epic battle. It seems that 90% of what I'm needing is already done with the /openwindow manualattackroll extension. I can get the text number to come up with what I choose for the players. However, it only works if they roll in the tower, not on the monster token, but then they can't see their roll because it was in the tower. Also, the extension is only for 5E, not for the other 3.5, which is what I mainly play. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mike
    Last edited by Niles; March 8th, 2017 at 20:47.

Blog Entries
    I don't have the skills to code something. And I know you didn't want to derail the thread into a pro's/con's. (Nor do they really matter if you are aware of them.)

Not sure if anyone will take you up on it. My impression is that most of the community devs don't do what they do for money, but rather for things they want done themselves and have little enough free to time to work on those. Hopefully you'll find someone to help you out

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I don't have the skills to code something. And I know you didn't want to derail the thread into a pro's/con's. (Nor do they really matter if you are aware of them.)

Not sure if anyone will take you up on it. My impression is that most of the community devs don't do what they do for money, but rather for things they want done themselves and have little enough free to time to work on those. Hopefully you'll find someone to help you out
    Understood. Thanks, Lord Entrails!

What about the manual rolls option in FG already?

Déjà Vu.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pratt View Post
    What about the manual rolls option in FG already?
    I'm looking to alter the players rolls without them knowing, so not quite what I'm looking for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Déjà Vu.
    Actually Trenloe, this is concerning your awesome /openwindow manualattackroll extension. I love the concept of it because you can alter rolls without the players knowing. But it only works if the players roll in the tower, which doesn't do any good, because they can't see the roll. Any way to get it to work when they drop on the monster token? I know that it won't alter the animated die, just the die icon with the text number, and I'm OK with that. And is there any way to get the extension to work with 3.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Actually Trenloe, this is concerning your awesome /openwindow manualattackroll extension
    Yep, I realise that. I was saying "Déjà Vu" to "What about the manual rolls option in FG already " comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Any way to get it to work when they drop on the monster token? I know that it won't alter the animated die, just the die icon with the text number, and I'm OK with that. And is there any way to get the extension to work with 3.5?
    There's actually quite a bit of work to get this working from the player side as it will be interrupting the roll, passing control to the GM to get the roll, passing control back, etc.. Plus there are all of the edge cases to cater for - critical confirmation, grapples, multiple attacks in one roll, etc. to make all of this work correctly.

Yes, it's possible to do, but it's not simple.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information