STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    A video showing resizing options here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post304700
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ugh, so I am starting to get confused (and a little frustrated) because terminology does not seem consistent. Also all of the video guides appear to be old I have buttons that no one talks about in the videos or guides. So to me:

A "Campaign" is a series of adventures usually completed by a single group of adventurers.

An "Adventure Module" is a single adventure.

So logically thinking about this since I started with a New Campaign, I would then begin creating adventures within that campaign. However, within FG "modules" appear to be rule extensions or token extension within the library. Furthermore, there are "Story" and "Quest" buttons. From what I can make out the text boxes normally found in old written Adventure modules go into the Story section. Looking over the "5e Tutorial Campaign" it appears that each new area of my Adventure should get its own "story entry" (?? meaning it own link within a group under the Story list. So each "Group" under story is its own adventure? With the different parts of the adventure listed under that Group title. So within the included 5e Tutorial Campaign there is two adventures "Tutorial" and "Sample Adventure" (although one is just a tutorial explanation).

I can't find anything that says what the Quest button is for.

However, looking at the "Best Practices" thread it appears I am suppose to create the "Adventure Modules" outside of my campaign and then import them into my campaign through the library? How is this done? Am I supposed to set up another campaign and then build my "Adventure Modules" in there. Export them and then import them into my actual campaign?

Sorry if this seems a bit long but the logic of how things are being explained in the tutorials is all jumbled to me. It seems like they put the cart before the horse by trying to show all the cool playing features but do not really explain how to create your campaigns as if you were the GM/DM. Start with how to develop you campaign world and the adventures within them then explain how to use FG to play. But I guess, if you are just a player like my kids will be you don't need to know how to build the world or adventures.

So yet another nit-noid thing in the 5e tutorial where are the tokens for the PCs? I get to the torture room and I have the pogs/tokens for the NPCs but not the PCs.

Blog Entries
    Hola Confuse-d One

Despite being 13years old FG is always under development - in fact the pace of development has increased significantly even. There are new features and new tools and new extensions and new rulesets etc being added all the time. Yes it can be confusing.

FG Terminology does differ somewhat from D&D/RPG terminology.

Campaign is the world in which your group of characters reside. Whether its a oneshot, a 1-20 adventure path, one that starts at level 6 or whatever. It is the container in which all your characters, monsters, places, events etc reside. You can add and subtract material from this campaign. The campaign is really about the Characters, about their journey.
    Modules are distinct files (that end in a .mod extension) that contain a finite set of material - they could be reference books, spell lists, monster collections, image collections, token collections or an adventure. Modules can be activated and deactivated within a campaign making that material available and unavailable.

So as a GM you can dive in and build everything in your Campaign before you start and as you go.

For re-usability, for resource management, you can also create a separate Campaign and create your content in there, without the PCs, without the PCs interactions. You then /export that into a module that can be activated in your main campaign. When the players cleanse the forgotten temple and move to another part of the world you can close that module off and open the next one. Sometimes you might have two or three adventure modules open and other times you will only need the one. There is no requirement to do it this way. Many GMs will never do this. They build the world and play in it all in the same campaign. Others like to do lots of prep and export it all to modules for easier housekeeping and so they can reuse those modules easily again with another group of players.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

I'll also add that using modules helps with the occasional "cleanup" process. If your campaign is long running, you'll need to cleanup stuff (delete old images, stories, etc). This process can be a bit of a pain, unless you use modules. If you close a module, all of the stuff associated with that module just goes away. Without using modules, you have to go through each section and delete the stuff one at a time.

Ok, so I could do it either way. However, as a best practice keeping an Adventure Module separate from the main campaign allows it to be used in various campaigns and to keep material down to a minimum within the current campaign you are running.

I am aware that FG is underdevelopment. I am glad it is. This was one of the reasons I was willing to put so much money into it. $300 is not a small investment. I also realize that there was a steep learning curve. I did plenty of research prior. I am sure I will be extremely happy once I have it all figured out. Part of my frustration is that my kids want to start now but I have a ton of work to do before the game is ready to play.

Funny, thing is I haven't played D&D in so long I am having to learn the new 5e rules along with FG. I have always played 2e or 2.5e. Heck, I still have my old Greyhawk book.

If they want to start tell them to learn and you be a player, that'll shut 'em up.

Blog Entries
    Further you want to use modules because then your work can be reused on the next set of victims... er players.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    victims... er players.
    Sacrificial lambs for the slaughter.

There fixed it for you.

LOL

Nylanfs - Yea, I can't imagine them trying to learn the DM half. My 16 year old son was bugging me just trying to learn how to roll a character in FG.

Blog Entries
    About groups and quests;

Quests allow you to create and share a simple explanation or objective so that the players know their current goals. It could be something like "Rescue the Kidnapped Girl" or "Destroy the One Ring in the Fires of Morador". You can also assign XP to them and then when the party completes the quest, you can drag the quest to the party sheet XP table and then award the XP.

Groups; These could be one per module, or not. For instance, I could do one module for my campaign setting ("Blue Hawk"). In there I can make a bunch of story entries (maybe one for each deity, each city, each kingdom, etc). Then since I now have 200 story entries, I can organize them into groups (such as "Gods", "Settlements" and "Politics"). But then again, if my module was just for a 5 room dungeon, I would only need one group (i.e. "Goloran's Cave").

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information