DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Noob to FG Round 2

So as I am starting to set things up the first thing I did was take my old world map (that is drawn by hand on graph paper) and scan in my World Overview map and then my first Continent Map. First thing I have noticed is that these two maps were drawn on 8 1/2 by 11 paper. When imported into FG they were huge.

1) How do I scale them down so that they will fit better in a window on the screen?

Then I started importing the 24 blow up maps I have that show more detail to my continent map. Even thought these were smaller about 2/3 of an 8 1/2 by 11 page and I cut them down in my scanner they too are large. However, as I have figured out certain things within the Images and Maps section such as how to create New Groups (folders) to put my maps in. At the same time I had my son install the demo version of FG so I could see if he could log into my campaign. That all worked well. However, I found that I wanted to share all my world maps with him (since the continent is a known world and mapped). The problem came in sharing these maps. I had a lot of them.

2) Is there a better way to "mass" share multiple maps then open them one at a time and mark each one as a shared map one at a time?

Finally, I decide to load my first adventure. I own a dozen of the old 2e Dungeon modules. Plus about 50 Old Dragon Magazines. So I decide to use one of the simpler adventures for my first set up. So I loaded the old Castle Caldwell map. Again, it was an 8 1/2 x 11 Map. I figured out how to change the window size to small but the entire map still does not fit within the window. You have to scroll using the weird button at the bottom left of the window. (I have zoomed all the way out with the mouse wheel).
    Last edited by Dwayne Squires; January 24th, 2017 at 02:58.

Make the window the size you want (hold ctrl, left click and drag to the left and up if the lower right corner is not on the screen). Then, when the window is the right size, spin your mouse wheel to change the zoom of the image.

Andraax,

That does not work. No matter what size I make my window, the image just expands with it. So I only see like 80% of the map no matter what.

BTW, I am in FG TS if anyone wants to talk me through things.

Did you spin the mouse wheel while hovering over the image to change the zoom?

Blog Entries
    Hey Dwayne Squires

Firstly you will probably want to grab the scan and pull it into your favorite editing application.
    The size of the image is not so much to do with the size of the paper it was printed on but the resolution it was scanned in at.

You will want to work out an appropriate scale - overland doesnt matter so much but battle maps do - work on 50px per square or whatever quality works for you.

Bear in mind that FG has some trouble with large images. For the most part keep your images at less than 2000x2000pixels. Certainly only very few images should be bigger than that.
    You should also try and keep the size in kb/mb as low as possible too as this affects how long it takes to load up for players. Aim for 500kb or less for most of your images.

Easy ways to share all the images?
    They all require some work.
    Create an image module and share that.
    Create a story entry and drag each image onto the story - creating links - and share the story entry to the players
    Other variations of above...

Try right click on the map and choose resize horizontal/vertical
    You can also drag the bottom right corner of the map to resize the frame
    You can also hold ctrl and left click drag to increase frame size

Yes, sir. Zoomed all the way out I can only see 80% of the map no matter what size I make my window. I have dual 24 in monitors and no matter how large I make the window the image will not fit 100% into it.

Damned,

So resize Horizontal/Vertical worked. I do not do a lot of image manipulation so going to have to figure that out. But I can see what you mean. The Castle map has grids on it but they are 10x10. Trying to get the grid layer in FG to line up is not working well either. FG squares are 5x5 if I am not mistaken. I need to rewatch some videos guides now. LOL

You probably had the window set to the wrong ratio. When zooming, it will stop when either the width or the height matches the window width. If part still looks "cut off", then you can drag *that* edge to expose the rest.

Blog Entries
    Hey Dwayne,

Scanned maps and hand drawn maps vs the precision of a computer drawn grid will always highlight inconsistencies...
    The 10' grid is ok you can make your 5' grid fit over the top you will just have 4x as many squares.
    Dont sweat the inconsistency. Use the arrows to nudge your map every now and again if it is bothering you a lot.

Blog Entries
    There is an utility discussed here to help you with scanned images, especially if they don't come in square/true; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...gn-map-to-grid

There is a guide here about creating adventures; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Best-Practices

You will want to make each of the old modules as it's own FG module. You may also want to make other modules for other parts of your campaign. i.e. one as a campaign guide, one for each chapter, etc.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information