FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I would imagine closing and reopening the character selection window would do this.
    It doesn't. I've no idea what kind of sort mechanism the character selection uses - if any. I just imported a character whose name starts with an 'A' and it's imported it into the middle of my character list. Currently the first letters of the first 4 characters in my list are A,B,Z and A. It doesn't seem to matter either who owns the character - those that I own aren't sorted into any particular order but they do all come after all the characters that are un-owned
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Then I imagine it is in the order of the database nodes (i.e. 'id-00001', 'id-00002', 'id-00003', etc.).
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Then I imagine it is in the order of the database nodes (i.e. 'id-00001', 'id-00002', 'id-00003', etc.).
    You could be right.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dracius View Post
    1) I go to manage characters, select 5e, then select 'start'
    2) I create a character
    3) I click 'Edit List' then 'Export Character'
    4) I save that character to a local folder in the Fantasy Grounds directory:
    -C:\Users\Dracius\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\characters
    5) I connect to someone elses game
    6) I select 'Edit List' -> 'Import'
    7) I get a blank "Import Local Character" page and no file browser appears.
    Does the character remain in Manage Characters after step 4? Or are you deleting the character after you've exported the file?

Additionally, what are you calling the file when you save it in step 4? You shouldn't be saving it to the \characters directory, this is used by the Fantasy Grounds manage characters functionality and your own exports shouldn't be put there.

As has been mentioned by others, the characters should stay in Manager Characters and then they are available to import when you join a GMs game of the same ruleset type (e.g. 5E).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yep, it's in the order that the characters are created.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Does the character remain in Manage Characters after step 4? Or are you deleting the character after you've exported the file?

Additionally, what are you calling the file when you save it in step 4? You shouldn't be saving it to the \characters directory, this is used by the Fantasy Grounds manage characters functionality and your own exports shouldn't be put there.

As has been mentioned by others, the characters should stay in Manager Characters and then they are available to import when you join a GMs game of the same ruleset type (e.g. 5E).
    Helpful as always!

I'll make sure the characters are loaded back into 'Manage Characters' and then see if they show up in games. I may very well have cleared them out of there after backing up but before connecting to the host campaign. Then I'll get all my character files relocated out of the FG directory to avoid any possible conflicts.

Zacchaeus: 1) If you have a bunch of characters which have been exported via the /exportchar function (from the chat box) then you can import them all at the same time - in fact you can only import all of them. Otherwise it's one at a time.
    2) Not that I'm aware of.
    Thanks for the update Zacchaeus, I'm assuming that the import all function would be done via the chat box /importchar (I'm guessing).

The other thing I have noticed with importing characters is that you can import the character multiple times, when I first reimported a character after some updates were done on a different copy of FG (different computer), I had a second copy of my character instead of it replacing the current character.

Quote Originally Posted by KlatuB View Post
    Thanks for the update Zacchaeus, I'm assuming that the import all function would be done via the chat box /importchar (I'm guessing).
    Yes, but you can also just use the normal import from the Character Selection window. FG realises if there are multiple characters in the XML and will import them all.

Trenloe: Yes, but you can also just use the normal import from the Character Selection window. FG realises if there are multiple characters in the XML and will import them all.
    Normally what I have been doing when exporting is creating separate files for the characters, am I correct in thinking that if I use the same name for all characters exported that the export function will append them to the file and not overwrite.

Quote Originally Posted by KlatuB View Post
    Normally what I have been doing when exporting is creating separate files for the characters, am I correct in thinking that if I use the same name for all characters exported that the export function will append them to the file and not overwrite.
    If you use the same filename when exporting a character FG will overwrite the file with the new data, it won't append.

If you use the /exportchar chat command (without a character name after it) then all characters will be exported into the file specified. See the chat commands here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/.../Chat_Commands

Thread Information