5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

So... starting with CC3/CC3+

I purchased the set of CC3/DD3/CD3 Mike Schley symbol pack during the recent BF sale.

I only installed both and opened it up to glance at it as I will not have time to look at this until my vacation starts on 12th

Do I want to follow the readings from CC3 to CC3+ or any reason I should skip CC3 and go right to CC3+ (I have no prior experience of either)?
    OR don't use CC3+ yet because its not "_____"?

I'm going to eventually watch this month videos since I've read folks here refer to them as very useful. I only glanced, but saw some linked videos on the start splash screen - are those the ones referred here or is there another "teacher" out there to subscribe to?

OK - now REALLY going to bed.

Seems I am not sure now if I installed all 3 into CC+... tried looking in the dirs and comparing but neither have things that jump out at me proving has all 3.

Perhaps someone can tell me a menu setting to check to see if CD/DD were both installed on both CC/CC+?

I'll check tomorrow.

*delirious obsessive-compulsive fool walks back to keyboard*
    Oh yeah, I did install it I'm pretty sure since both CC3 and CC3+ dirs have a Symbol Dir with City/Dungeon in them & Schley elsewhere...?
    Last edited by Varsuuk; November 29th, 2016 at 08:03.

CC3 and CC3+ are two different products which install in different directories. So I assume you bought one or the other. Both install to ProgramFiles(x86)/Profantasy. With the data folders in ProgramData/Profantasy

Depending on which one you bought would inform which manual you should read.

The videos, whilst helpful, are very old and much has changed in the program since they were produced - especially CC3+
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    OK - now REALLY going to bed.

Seems I am not sure now if I installed all 3 into CC+... tried looking in the dirs and comparing but neither have things that jump out at me proving has all 3.

Perhaps someone can tell me a menu setting to check to see if CD/DD were both installed on both CC/CC+?

I'll check tomorrow.

*delirious obsessive-compulsive fool walks back to keyboard*
    Oh yeah, I did install it I'm pretty sure since both CC3 and CC3+ dirs have a Symbol Dir with City/Dungeon in them & Schley elsewhere...?
    Hi, Varsuuk.

There are some buttons that get installed with DD3 and CD3.
    Attachment 16686

In order the buttons are: CC3, DD3, and CD3

To use the Dungeons of Schley you have to start a new dungeon map and choose the appropriate map style.

As for videos I've been enjoying the following ones:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Wb9X_wZm6hWgHu

I'm working my way through the tutorials at the moment and they are showing how to use it and explaining things so I would recommend that. The PDFs should be in the CC3 documentation directory. Start with CC3UserManual.pdf

Happy cartographering!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    CC3 and CC3+ are two different products which install in different directories. So I assume you bought one or the other. Both install to ProgramFiles(x86)/Profantasy. With the data folders in ProgramData/Profantasy

Depending on which one you bought would inform which manual you should read.

The videos, whilst helpful, are very old and much has changed in the program since they were produced - especially CC3+
    Thanks Z, the manuals are already on my ipad.

I bought the three-pack bundle, I've been on the fence forever citing my lack of time and artistic skills but when I read here there was a Black Friday sale...at 69 or so, couldn't resist. It was listed as CC3 + CC3plus download.

Then I bought Schley cos me like a lot of his maps

I downloaded and installed the CC3 based stuff (including DD3,CD3) then patched then installed CC3+ in a different directory and used the DD3forCC3plus installer and likewise the same for CD3 installers and finally Schley for plus and patched.

So two different directory trees. Figure since had no experience with either did know if was a reason to stay on original for compatibility or feature completeness.

Hey wondering, it would prob look way cruder, but are there any asserts in my old Forgotten Realms CC2 CD I can reuse weather it's maps or symbols or? if so aill google around. Having morning coffee so barely coherent now...

I think you may as well forget CC3 unless you want to use any of the annuals that aren't compatible with CC3+ (yet - if they ever will be). Although CC3+ is basically the same as CC3 there are a large number of interface changes and a lot of under the hood stuff which makes things easier. If you use both you'll kind of have to learn both and you already have an uphill battle

There shouldn't be any relevant resources in your old CC2 discs that isn't included in CC3 or CC3+. CC2 used vector graphics rather than filled symbols and such so unless you want retro maps you'll never use those anyway.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    As Zacc says, just start with CC3+ unless you want to use some of the old annuals (which you have to purchase anyway). Really do take the time to do the sample maps with each product. They are detailed in the user guide. Not only will you learn a lot about how to do the various commands, you'll also learn a good workflow. With CC, it's important that you make the map in a certain order, doing so allows you to leverage the power of sheet effects with minimal re-work or re-organizing of you mep elements.

Also, don't be afraid to ask on the forums over there, they are just as helpful as everyone here. Finally, if you're not familiar, checkout the Cartographer's Guild, they are another great community for map makers (even amatuer ones).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Lots of discussion and good links to tutorials in the Map Making Software thread. Start here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post284116 and look through the following pages. Example maps, links to tutorials, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I think you may as well forget CC3 unless you want to use any of the annuals that aren't compatible with CC3+ (yet - if they ever will be). Although CC3+ is basically the same as CC3 there are a large number of interface changes and a lot of under the hood stuff which makes things easier. If you use both you'll kind of have to learn both and you already have an uphill battle

Great, glad I asked - they gave instructions for installing both without any reason why would it wouldn't I had at first thought maybe because CC3+ was maybe still in pre-release mode or something since CC3 was still so primarily featured.

I'll uninstall CC3 as I have no Annuals. Figure save disk space and program associations maybe.
    I wanted to see the new toy, should know better than to install in wee hours of night/mornings.

I'll google to find out which Annuals do/don't work so I know later which I can look at to see what they offer.

There shouldn't be any relevant resources in your old CC2 discs that isn't included in CC3 or CC3+. CC2 used vector graphics rather than filled symbols and such so unless you want retro maps you'll never use those anyway.
    I never used the CC2, It came with a (I believe scaled down) version of CC2. I got it for the Interactive Forgotten Realms maps to look at and just enjoy. Haven't opened it in decade or more, so unsure what I'd think today but I was wowed back then on the overlands.

Speaking of "interactive/linked" maps, I noticed while perusing the first 5 or so annual descriptions that one of the early ones actually referenced and linked the FRInteractice map and had a l son on how to make that sort of map. So made mental note to see if there isn't already a free lesson on that somewhere and if. to to think about it if I ever became proficient in CC3.

Do you know if that annual or part of the annual is "compatible", no big if not, just a kind of interesting thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Lots of discussion and good links to tutorials in the Map Making Software thread. Start here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post284116 and look through the following pages. Example maps, links to tutorials, etc..

I'm presuming the manual/essentials pdfs that come with the software should be my start? That's why wrote in case I should look at other stuff first before annuals. i just know lots of CC pro folks here and over last year when .I didn't think I was getting it, I would hear "start here" advice which went in one...eye? and out...the...other? after reading forums

Thread Information