5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Dungeon Builder Isometric Map Maker

I've just stumbled upon this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er-for-role-pl

Downloaded the free Demo and even created a map myself. I'm just not sure if isometric maps are a great idea to use on FG, but they are surely beautiful. The demo is very, very easy to use and I really loved it but it lacks the export map so far (had to use some microsoft paintbrush-fu)

Attachment 15774

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I think I'll stick with Perspectives 3 for CC3+ for now: https://secure.profantasy.com/products/per3_video.asp However, if this KS really "kicks" and gets to the final "Extra: Top Down View" stretch goal I might take a look again. Saved to look at later...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I think I'll stick with Perspectives 3 for CC3+ for now: https://secure.profantasy.com/products/per3_video.asp However, if this KS really "kicks" and gets to the final "Extra: Top Down View" stretch goal I might take a look again. Saved to look at later...
    Back in the day I had the chance to use CC3 on a friend's computer. The maps he made were really awesome, mine looked like a potato. One of the things I really loved about the Dungeon Builder was that it was really, really simple to use. However this CC3 perspective video also seems to be pretty easy, and as much as the black & white maps look great I really prefer the colored ones like this.

CC3 definitely takes getting used to - but it is time well spent (IMHO).

Reading more on dungeon builder, you have to spend approx $300 (Indie Builder) to get a license that allows you to distribute maps you create "which allows you to use maps made in Dungeon builder professionally (included in published material)." I don't see anything about community commons/free (non-professional) distribution (e.g. sharing on this forum). But "published material" could be construed as a free FG module - such as the great mods Zacchaeus puts together. For example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Abyss-Map-mod
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    CC3 definitely takes getting used to - but it is time well spent (IMHO).

Reading more on dungeon builder, you have to spend approx $300 (Indie Builder) to get a license that allows you to distribute maps you create "which allows you to use maps made in Dungeon builder professionally (included in published material)." I don't see anything about community commons/free (non-professional) distribution (e.g. sharing on this forum). But "published material" could be construed as a free FG module - such as the great mods Zacchaeus puts together. For example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Abyss-Map-mod
    $300 to be able to publish what you make with it seems really expensive. I don't think any of the leading tools do that. I know CC has always said you can do what you want with the maps you make using their tool and symbols. Just can't resell their symbols etc. PSP, Dunjinni etc don't as far as I know either.

But, it's not the first time I've seen a Kickstarter do a similar pricing scheme. I find it interesting.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I doubt that would hold up in a court of law...

I think the $300 is required only if you plan to monetize your creations. Virtual Battlemap also has something like that and I've talked to the VBM devs and they clearly stated that you can do whatever you want to your maps, you can give them for free, post on whatever forums you want. But if you want to sell your maps, you have to pay for that kind of license.

Blog Entries
    It would hold up in law, imo, as long as they clearly state what their licensing is. Effectively it would be something like a creative commons, free use only license.

I know other do such licensing restrictions. I just find it interesting that it seems to be only the new/little map companies do these types of restrictions. The big players don't.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, the fact that they call it a "personal" license kinda speaks as to what it's for - personal use, not public (sharing etc.). It's a fine line between sharing on forums and then posting (for free) on DMsGuild, but that is an actual product and the Indie/Pro license specifically lists such products needing the upgraded license. So, what's the difference between posting maps made with Dungeon Builder for zero cost on DMsGuild and making available for free on the FG forums? Very little...

Maybe someone who's backed the kickstarter can ask that question in the comments? They might need to clarify/re-align their licensing model.

To expands on this - it is a frequent conversation on these forums about copyright, etc. where some people think that copyright is not broken if the material is shared for free. This is not the case. If the owner of copyright protected material doesn't give permission to publicly share their material then you can't. For example, most major RPG publishers won't allow you to share any of the material from their products - even for zero cost. Some provide a specific license to do so (OGL, Community commons, etc.) which covers a small part of the material and usually doesn't include story, artwork, etc..

Likewise, images provided in a mapping application are the property of the copyright owner (their intellectual property) unless otherwise stated. If they don't want you to publicly display/share maps created with that intellectual property then that is within their rights.

The fact that the kickstarter owner has provided three levels of licensing (personal, indie and pro) suggests that they recognise these differences (and material ownership) and that the personal is just that: for personal use. But, would be good for them to confirm.

Thread Information