DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 6 of 14 First ... 45678 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    The text entry into the FG client is decent, but I found it easy to switch focus (cut and paste from the PDF) and lose ctrl-z and Word is obviously a better editor.

If you are just doing a couple of entries, then right into FG is fine. CTRL-J to remove the extra LF, CTRL-Z to revert changes if you mess up, and I use CTRL-3 to make the paragraph a text box all the time (saves right-clicking and selecting via a sub-menu).

I also cannot get the idea site to accept my idea, but I wish that the item creator allowed either a drop down list for type and sub-type or you to set a default. When you create over 100 items at a sitting, it gets painful to have to type these each time or to copy a master item and edit it over and over ...
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    First post and attachment updated. Significant changes;

Incorporate elements from Xorne’s tutorial. Removed Tabs info. Added info for FG v3.2 groups. Added info on unidentified names/entries for images and items. Note about page references added. Previous/Next link in story entries removed due to new UI functionality. Added “Modifying Official/Purchased Modules”. Added 2048 x 2048 statement for large maps. Revised Story entry sections for completeness. Corrected statement about differing tokens for each NPC instance in an encounter.
    I still intend to add example images.

One thing I have seen differing info on is the thumbnail image. I have reference that it should be sized to 75 x 86 pixels, but also that it should be 128 pixels wide. Anyone know the correct answer?

Also, currently the recommendation for token size is 50x50 pixels for medium sized creatures. But, as I think about this, I would think tokens should be higher resolution than the underlying map. Thoughts?

Thirds item that occurred to me is pre-gen characters and portraits, anyone have best practices they could point me to?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    One thing I have seen differing info on is the thumbnail image. I have reference that it should be sized to 75 x 86 pixels, but also that it should be 128 pixels wide. Anyone know the correct answer?
    In CoreRPG the thumbnail control size is 63x63. I don't see this being overrode in the main rulesets layered on top.

Also, currently the recommendation for token size is 50x50 pixels for medium sized creatures.
    I don't think 50x50 has been an official recommendation. I usually recommend 100 pixels, which is what the official modules use.

The official (5E and upcoming Pathfinder) modules use:
    - Small creature - 75x75
    - Medium creature: 100x100
    - Large Creature: 200x200
    - Larger than large: 300x200.

Thirds item that occurred to me is pre-gen characters and portraits, anyone have best practices they could point me to?
    Most portrait controls (and the token created from the portrait) is 63x63 pixels. There is a portrait_token_mask resource that is 90x90 but this doesn't appear to be used anywhere. So, 63x63 for portraits should be fine.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

50x50 was a very old recommendation in order to create a standard for "Medium" creatures, prior to the auto-scaling to grid option being added. I believe the current recommendation is around 100x100 for Medium tokens, as Trenloe mentioned. He would actually know better, since he's working with Lokiare and Doug on creating modules.

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Excellent, thanks for the info.

On portraits, since they are often used as tokens, should token size be used be default? (i.e. 100x100) and then leg FG scale them for the portrait?

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

That's fine. FG automatically scales the images for portraits already, since it varies by ruleset.

Regards,
    JPG

On portraits, since they are often used as tokens, should token size be used be default? (i.e. 100x100) and then leg FG scale them for the portrait?
    ... (the token created from the portrait) is 63x63 pixels. You can't use a portrait directly as a token - FG creates it for you, at 63x63 pixels.

@JPG - which rulesets do you know of that don't use the standard CoreRPG 63x63 portrait_mask?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That's true. The token generated from a portrait is the size of the portrait for the ruleset. (63x63 for CoreRPG)

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Ok, thanks

Hello FG. First post. I love this program. I have been looking for a way to play D&D remotely for years. A friend mentioned this to me and I am a subscriber and GM for a campaign. I want to create my own modules but I'm not sure how. My first question is how do I create maps and load them to FG? I have tried a few times with pre-made maps and I doesn't work. I can't get the map to update into FG. I want to make my own maps, what programs are available that would work best with FG. Thanks peeps!!

SneakyHaggus

Thread Information