5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Messing up Character Sheet

One issue I'd like to see resolved would be how easy it is to 'muck up' a player’s character sheet. As DM, I'm usually looking at a player’s character sheet throughout the game at various points, and usually will have a few other things going on at the same time. I've noticed (after it was too late) that if the character sheet is open and I'm scrolling my mouse wheel, and my pointer happens to be over just about any part of the character sheet-I'm messing up numbers. Sometimes lots of numbers if it takes me awhile to notice what I've done...this needs to be fixed. It's way too easy to unintentionally change numbers on the sheet.

NeoDante

Yes. And with this, there should be a way to know when a player has added or modified his character sheet without your consent. I am reviewing my player's characters and just found out one of them added a lot of GP to his character without having found it in-game. How can I avert this?

Blog Entries
    DM lightning bolt from the heavens.

Small joke aside, being able to lock the character sheet DM side would be nice. Anything and everything including ammunition, adding phantom equipment and coins, to changing spells on the fly in the middle of combat.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Well you could make copies of the character and review after every level gain.

This is a tool for making DM work easier. I appreciate the suggestion but the software should be the one to do something in our favor, not give us more work. Remember, we are replacing normal pen and paper character sheets for the software, so a mechanism should exist to deal with this. Normally, you would remember (vaguely though) what was written and where in the character sheet of every player and new writings could be evident sometimes, but in the software it is easy to replace entire blocks of text or add quantities without leaving evidence behind.
    FG Info:
    Ultimate License holder
    PHB Core License Pack
    Prices of Apocalypse Accesory License.

DM Info:
    DMing since 1985 (approximately) with a very large hiatus after 1994 until 2010.
    Another pause following the 2010 sessions and now I am beginning anew and I feel like DM level 1.
    Playing DnD 5th edition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayereth View Post
    This is a tool for making DM work easier. I appreciate the suggestion but the software should be the one to do something in our favor, not give us more work. Remember, we are replacing normal pen and paper character sheets for the software, so a mechanism should exist to deal with this. Normally, you would remember (vaguely though) what was written and where in the character sheet of every player and new writings could be evident sometimes, but in the software it is easy to replace entire blocks of text or add quantities without leaving evidence behind.
    Hey (again ) Dayereth and NeoDante,

In options set Mouse: Wheel Editing to <ctrl> and then your mouse scrolls will do little or at least less damage.
    And yes this software is intended to replicate the tabletop. At the tabletop your PC can alter their sheets without your knowledge too... a counterpoint to you wanting everything approved by the GM is the view that the GM has enough to do already (as you also point out) and I want my players to manage their own stuff. If I thought a player had added gold to his sheet he'd get his purse cut at the very next possible moment and find it completely empty. Its not what you are asking I know - but some times you can use the game to manage the limitations of a product.

Vote for it here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hey (again ) Dayereth and NeoDante,

In options set Mouse: Wheel Editing to <ctrl> and then your mouse scrolls will do little or at least less damage.
    And yes this software is intended to replicate the tabletop. At the tabletop your PC can alter their sheets without your knowledge too... a counterpoint to you wanting everything approved by the GM is the view that the GM has enough to do already (as you also point out) and I want my players to manage their own stuff. If I thought a player had added gold to his sheet he'd get his purse cut at the very next possible moment and find it completely empty. Its not what you are asking I know - but some times you can use the game to manage the limitations of a product.

Vote for it here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
    You are completely right and measures will be taken [maniacal laugh]. It would still be a good addition to the already impressive list of features.
    FG Info:
    Ultimate License holder
    PHB Core License Pack

DM Info:
    DMing since 1985 (approximately) with a very large hiatus after 1994 until 2010.
    Another pause following the 2010 sessions and now I am beginning anew and I feel like DM level 1.
    Playing DnD 5th edition.

Hey, Damned -- I'm honestly curious... what won't that prevent? Let's say, in 5e, for examples sake? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crymoricus View Post
    Hey, Damned -- I'm honestly curious... what won't that prevent? Let's say, in 5e, for examples sake? Thanks!
    I don't know the answer - I thought it prevented most changes but wasn't positive

I don't know the answer - I thought it prevented most changes but wasn't positive

It is like that by default. It prevents the inadvertently changing of numeric values by use of the mouse wheel.
    FG Info:
    Ultimate License holder
    PHB Core License Pack

DM Info:
    Playing DnD 5th edition.

Thread Information