5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Gaining proficiency in artisan tools and kits..

How does a pc gain proficiency in artisan tools and kits.. ? Ill take the Ranger as an example for my questions.. My first part is lets say the Ranger wants to craft non magical armor during down time. Page 187 PHB describes you must be proficient in artisan tools so for this example that means Ranger must be proficient in smiths tools .. needs a forge and materials etc. So I am assuming its up to the DM,s discretion on where and who the PC sees for Training and how long and cost .. I found that under "Training" PHB 187

By the same token I'm assuming since the Ranger can cast spells and has spell slots at level 2 then the Ranger can also craft magical items such and items, potions, and spell scrolls too as long as any magic items crafted that use spells have to be Ranger spells.

My question here is to craft magic items I find no proficiency needed in any tools or kits to craft a magic item other than potions is that correct ?

and last question.. is there a limit on the number tools and kits a pc can be proficient in ?

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

Blog Entries
    Their is nothing RAW that indicates how magic items (other than potions) are created. It's totally up to the DM to decide what and how etc magic items can be created.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

ok .. thanks for your reply that's kind of what I was coming up with.. appreciate the answer..

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

Blog Entries
    There are a bunch of discussions, which I have not read, at www.EnWorld.com that discuss this in case you want ideas etc. The DMsGuild might also have some unofficial rules or ideas.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information