DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Old D&D Material for 5th Edition?

I just started to enter the old AD&D 2nd Edition Adventure The Accursed Tower into FG and updating it to 5th Edition of course. After I am finished I would love to share it with my fellow Fantasy Ground:ers. But I am not sure how to best achieve this. Is it possible to release it officially through since 5th Edition is Licensed to FG? I am not sure if the old material falls under the same License and how WotC's stance on this is.

Blog Entries
    The license specifically covers 5th Edition only but the DMs Guild throws a real curly one into the mix. Id send an email to Doug via [email protected] and see if there is any movement on the whle licensing thing now the DMs Guild is open. I suspect not as I think that they have specifically chosen one outlet with big reach - OBS - to handle this.

As I suspected. Guess I have to check the DM Guild rules closer too. Better to just keep it to myself and let interested people contact me personally if they want my version of the module when it's done.

Blog Entries
    Hi Chorpa - there is absolutely no sharing of copyright materials here unless the publisher permits it. Send an email to Doug is your best starting point.

Ahh sorry! That is what I meant by my previous post. Guess I wasn't clear about that when I said people would have to contact me personally. By that I meant outside the forums of course. But yes I am gonna check with Doug and other venues first like DM Guild (but then it will be PDF format and not pre-written for FG). If neither works it will probably just be a project for my personal gaming groups and friends.

Edit: Have checked the DM Guild Guidelines and even there I can't post the full adventure since it is already for sale digitally over OneBookshelf. However I am allowed to publish all the new material like NPC stats and such since it constitutes as new material. So I can make sort of a 5E NPC & Item Module with guidelines how to use the adventure but without including information from the actual adventure that you can instead buy from OneBookshelf. I do assume it will be a similar answer from Doug. Saw some similar modules there providing information and material on running some old adventures and such so gonna check those out to see how they have solved it.
    Last edited by Chorpa; March 10th, 2016 at 15:00. Reason: Checked the DM Guild Guidelines.

Blog Entries
    I'd love to see topic this become sticky. I suspect there are many of us working privately to bring old DnD adventures into 5e. The Mysteries of the Moonsea has some 20+ adventures/missions that I'm slowly bringing to 5e. I'd love to share all that work but the licensing issues sure put a damper on things. A thread that adds to the knowledge base of how to stay away from stomping licensing toes would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    I'd love to see topic this become sticky. I suspect there are many of us working privately to bring old DnD adventures into 5e. The Mysteries of the Moonsea has some 20+ adventures/missions that I'm slowly bringing to 5e. I'd love to share all that work but the licensing issues sure put a damper on things. A thread that adds to the knowledge base of how to stay away from stomping licensing toes would be nice.
    Always assume that you will violate licensing.

Check with Doug at [email protected] and if he says it is OK, then you can post. OR they might want to contact the license holder and work out a deal to put what you have done in the store, check out https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tures-rulesets for more details.
    Ultimate License Holder--All can play in my games.

Need Help as a GM, PM me and I will give as much assistance as I can to get you started.

COMPLETED PROJECTS--Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) 5E. Quests of Doom Volume 1 (Frog God Games) 5E, Quests of Doom Volume II (Frog God Games) 5E.

CURRENT PROJECTS--Quests of Doom 3 & 4 (Frog God Games) 5E.

The DMs Guild license allows you to use anything published in the Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft setting and then put it ONLY on the DMs Guild. To put it elsewhere, it can only use the SRD. So, the answer to your question is that if you want to sell a 5e conversion pdf on the DMs guild and include the FG module, then you're good. If you want to put it here, no go.
    Classic & Unity Ultimate License
    Timezone: US Central Time [CST = GMT-6/CDT = GMT-5]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnight View Post
    The DMs Guild license allows you to use anything published in the Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft setting and then put it ONLY on the DMs Guild. To put it elsewhere, it can only use the SRD. So, the answer to your question is that if you want to sell a 5e conversion pdf on the DMs guild and include the FG module, then you're good. If you want to put it here, no go.
    I wonder if there is some FG licensing that might also apply?

Blog Entries
    Aargh!! I turn 60 this year. "Ain't nobody got time for this!" All I want to do is share my work. It's not like the proceeds would make anybody rich. And content owners wonder why there's an underground. I'm not complaining about the comments here, I truly appreciate them. I'm just screaming at the rain.

To add to the "I wonders.." Isn't there some sort of expiration of copyright then content goes to public domain?

UPDATE: Google results simplified, death of the author plus 70 years. So. "Nevermind."
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; March 12th, 2016 at 19:43.

Thread Information