5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Non-English Characters/Letters

Hello. We have these odd characters in Turkish (ş,ğ,ı,İ) that aren't being displayed correctly in the FG default font. Is there a way that I can fix this issue? Thanks.
    Last edited by rhuobhe; July 2nd, 2015 at 14:07.

FG uses the Windows 1252 code page. The characters included in this code page are shown here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc195054.aspx

Maybe with the sometime-in-the-future move to Unity this will change at some point (more than likely).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    No I dont think so. The current game engine just doesnt support it. This is unlikely to change until sometime after the Unity port which is (at a guess) at least a year away...

As an aside - I often use Turkish names for NPCs - there are so many cool sounding Turkish names!

Did you tried to change the default encoding within the ruleset you are want to use ?

e.g. in the CoreRPG Ruleset there is following XML header definition in the "base.xml" file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>

You could try to change it into the Turkish iso encoding (iso-8859-9 ?) :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-9" ?>

Cool, thanks guys. It's a minor inconvenience anyways.

@drvolk: Tried that for 3.5 ruleset but it didn't make any difference.

@damned: They are often less cool when they are in your native language! :P Best such application I've seen was a rogue named Zehir in WoW. Means "poison" in Turkish ^^

Quote Originally Posted by drvolk View Post
    Did you tried to change the default encoding within the ruleset you are want to use ?

e.g. in the CoreRPG Ruleset there is following XML header definition in the "base.xml" file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>

You could try to change it into the Turkish iso encoding (iso-8859-9 ?) :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-9" ?>
    That's just an XML standard. It doesn't do anything for FG characters.

FG uses its own font files (.fgf usually in the graphics\fonts directory) these are hard coded with the Windows 1252 characters. Some .TTF (True type fonts) have been introduced for a couple of types of FG text, but the vast majority are hard coded as mentioned above.

The only way to "fix" this issue would be to identify which 1252 character replaces the Turkish character and manually edit each font using the FG font editor. Which would be a big task...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post

The only way to "fix" this issue would be to identify which 1252 character replaces the Turkish character and manually edit each font using the FG font editor. Which would be a big task...
    I might actually go the length to do this, if it is possible. I hate, hate and hate not being able to use Turkish characters (being kind of a gramatically zealous person). Where can I find this FG font editor?

Quote Originally Posted by archmagus View Post
    Where can I find this FG font editor?
    FGF Font Editor at the bottom of this page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...veloper_Guides

Thanks a lot, Trenloe

I found the font editor, and I even found the FG fonts. My, there are a lot! There are fonts in the 5e ruleset and fonts in the core... I changed a few and copied them into FG, restarted to no effect. Perhaps I modified the wrong fgf files. But modifying all of them will sure take a long time. I'd like to see I really make progress before I go further but I can't seem to see a change anywhere. Anyone knows which font is used in the chat box?

By the way, I know exactly which characters I have to modify, because I see them everytime I try to type a "ş", "ğ" or an "ı" on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by archmagus View Post
    Perhaps I modified the wrong fgf files.
    Which files did you modify? Did you re-package the ruleset .PAK file or did you make an extension?

As I mentioned in post #6 above, this is "a big task'!

Thread Information