5E Character Create Playlist

FG network issue with VmWare

I have VmWare installed on my system. It creates several virtual network interfaces that are there even when VmWare isn't running. One is a lower IP address than the system's lan address so FG finds it first. Is there any way to force FG to use the IP of my choosing for its local IP?

Hello Jolan!

There is a way in windows to change the priority of the network interfaces, and I will attempt to explain below.

1. Hit "Start" and then make your way to the control panel.
    2. Look for the "Network and Internet" tab.
    3. In the top left of the screen, hit "Change adapter settings".
    4. Now hit the "ALT" key on your keyboard, and a small bar should appear at the top of the window, giving you some extra options.
    5. Hit the "Advanced" button, and from the drop down menu, click "Advanced Settings"
    6. There under the tab "Adapters and Bindings" you can change the priority of your network adapters.
    7. Make sure that the adapter you wish to use for FGII is at the top of the list; this way Fantasy Grounds should look for this adapter first.
    8. A system reboot might be needed.
    9. Restart FGII, and hopefully this should have solved your problem.

Kind regards,

p.s This guide assumes windows 7 as your OS.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSavaroth
    Hello Jolan!

There is a way in windows to change the priority of the network interfaces, and I will attempt to explain below.

<stuff to do>

Kind regards,

p.s This guide assumes windows 7 as your OS.
    This is good information, but it doesn't always make Fantasy Grounds display my preferred internal IP address. I have Oracle VirtualBox (similar to VMWare) installed on my PC and FG always reports the internal IP address as that of the VirtualBox adapter, not my LAN adapter, even when the LAN adapter is at the top of the list and the VirtualBox adapter is at the bottom.

However, this does not stop me hosting games as FG will be listening for connections on port 1802 of all network connections.

However, you will need to manually set port forwarding on your router to the usual LAN IP address and not rely on FG using UPnP as it will set the wrong IP address which may result in player connections from the internet not reaching Fantasy Grounds.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thats good info, thanks. As it turns out I just disabled the vmware interfaces and that made my 192 the top IP. I figured I would just enable them when I run vmware but the virtual machine still worked and had network access without them.

That's most likely because your VMs are using your Bridge Network (i.e. they have IP address on the same network as your physical PC).

You may find that if you want a private or NAT network you will need to re-enable them again.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thread Information