PDA

View Full Version : Error on Startup

dafranks
October 24th, 2007, 02:46
(Running FG2- Fully patched v2.1.0 LITE)
I began to get an error tonight for the first time after using the software successfully for months.
"Could not load ruleset root file base.xml"
It happens when I try to crate and view local characters and I have not made any changes to the ruleset.
I un-installed, rebooted, made sure all directories were deleted and the registry was removed and re-installed and still get the same error.
One of the friends I play with had the game open and was connected to our usual server. He restarted his program and began to get the exact same error.
It would appear to be an issue with either a recent update and/or authentication to the smiteworks server on startup.

Any idea how soon this issue will be fixed?

Griogre
October 24th, 2007, 05:35
Are you using the default d20 ruleset? Many rulesets do not allow players to make characters locally, particularly proprietary rulesets.

dafranks
October 24th, 2007, 13:15
Yes. I get the error after a fresh install with no modifications.

edfig
October 24th, 2007, 17:14
I have the same issue....

*shrugs*

edfig
October 24th, 2007, 17:47
Ok, I got it to work...

It seems if you uninstall a previous licensed version the old license key stays in the registry(yuck). I uninstalled the previous version then MANUALLY deleted the registry entry. Reinstalled and presto... it worked for me.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6079

dafranks
October 25th, 2007, 02:49
Well, that doesn't describe me.
I have only had one license. I purchased it and installed it and it has worked for months and then it gave me that error last night. I un-installed completely, verified that the directories and registry entries were gone and then re-installed. I still get the error.

dafranks
October 25th, 2007, 02:56
Actually, I just tried this on a PC that has never had FGII installed on it and I get the same error.

Dachannien
October 25th, 2007, 03:36
When was the last time you ran the updater?

dafranks
October 25th, 2007, 04:25
As I said in my original post, "(Running FG2- Fully patched v2.1.0 LITE)" and on the second install, it updates on first run so it is also fully patched.

Dachannien
October 25th, 2007, 07:01
Yes, but on the non-new install, when was the last time you ran the updater?

dafranks
October 25th, 2007, 07:06
1 minute before the problem happened. I run the updater every time I start the program.

dafranks
October 25th, 2007, 07:08
And just in case you meant exactly when, it would have been about 7pm CST on 10/23.

Dachannien
October 25th, 2007, 10:27
It's possible that something has become corrupt (again) very recently on the SmiteWorks server, and you're receiving a bad version of the d20 ruleset. At this point, the only thing you can do is grab the d20.pak file from someone who isn't having trouble starting the program and hope that solves it. Don't run the updater afterwards.

In general, it's not necessary to run the updater every time you start the program. We haven't had an update in months now, and anytime there has been an update, we get notified (a) through a forum post and (b) through the opening screen of FG illuminating the "update" button and changing its text to read "update available".

Cerebr4l
October 25th, 2007, 16:41
I'm having the same issue. I posted my own thread yesterday but I will copy and paste it here since it is basically the same problem:

----------

Hello, I've been using Fantasy Grounds for many months now with no problems until tonight. Myself and two others were logged onto our dm's game for two hours when the third player got online. Before she logged onto the server she clicked "update" (something she does before all our weekly meetings) and then attempted to log in and she got the following error: "The host is running a proprietary ruleset that does not match a local installation."

We figured that she downloaded an update and we had an old version so we all logged off, including the dm, and clicked update. After we clicked it we noticed that there was no update; we were all still on 2.1.0. Our DM launched the game again and none of us were able to get on the server. We all got the same message: "The host is running a proprietary ruleset that does not match a local installation."

Since that time we tried the following fixes and nothing has worked:

DM uninstalled and reinstalled FGII
Player uninstalled and reinstalled FGII
Player uninstalled and deleted registry settings for FGII and then did a clean reinstall
Player pasted dm's "basicruleset.xml" over their file
etc
etc
etc

After three hours of attempts to fix the problem we cannot come up with any solution. If anyone is having the same problem or if anyone knows of a fix please help! Thanks for your time.

-David

Geofferic
October 26th, 2007, 06:32
I have a player that is having this exact problem.

First install, patched, no workee.

Myself and my other players all work fine, but we installed and patched last week.

He just installed and patched about 30 minutes ago.