PDA

View Full Version : Documentation for 5e Character Builder rules

Valyar
December 15th, 2021, 13:37
I am developing 5e compatible content and as preparation I explored in details how the Core PHB races/classes/backgrounds are created in order to connect with the builder automation. Now, with all content ready I noticed that majority of the custom content does not work, even though I am following the convention that I think is right for the builder string parting automation to work.

I can't figure out all rules by reading the Lua code, therefore - is there documentation that states what are the ground rules for content developer to properly prepare the content, when the publisher isn't following exactly WoTC notation?

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2021, 14:12
Character Wizard? No documentation for it yet (other than what is in the Wiki). I assume that is because it's still considered Beta and is undergoing active development. Plus it's undergoing major changes right now. You can read the more recent posts in the Character Wizard Bugs thread to hear the developer talk about changes coming to it around custom content.

Valyar
December 15th, 2021, 14:18
Yes, Character Wizard. :)
Since it is available in LIVE channel I thought it is already "production". It works like a charm with almost all default classes.

It is still good thing to have documentation, even if it is WiP to help people like me. Trial and error is not good from time perspective.

Valyar
December 15th, 2021, 14:46
It seems it wasn't only https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48739-5e-Class-Background-Race-Feat-interpreted-strings
Looking at update timestamp, still maintained.

superteddy57
December 15th, 2021, 18:25
It seems it wasn't only https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48739-5e-Class-Background-Race-Feat-interpreted-strings
Looking at update timestamp, still maintained.

Please reach out to me as we can discuss this if it's related to commercial content. I am the dev working redesign of the Character Wizard.