PDA

View Full Version : Wifi keeps dropping and FG is the only correlating factor

Fizban
March 11th, 2017, 21:59
Hi Forum,

Over the last 6 months or so, I regularly lose internet connection when hosting a game in FG. I have tried many things to fix it, and have tested (including stress testing) my connection with the other programs I use. I have swapped out my entire hardware setup (was due for one anyway lol) but the problem persists. I'll explain in more detail.

When I begin hosting a game in FG, all is well. However when players start connecting I often lose my wifi connection. Not just FG but everything goes. I end up having to reset my connection and will usually need to do this two or three times. This problem stops when I get about 30 minutes into the game session and is fine for the rest of the night.

I cannot find one in the forums, but is there any precedent for this sort of thing happening? Is there a large data dump at the start of a session which could potentially cause packet loss (which would probably result in me losing connection)?

Thanks in advance guys.

LordEntrails
March 11th, 2017, 23:12
There is a large transfer when each player connects. It can get really bad if your players are on the same wifi network as yourself. If that's the case, try to just have one connect at a time and wait until they are fully in before starting the next one.

One of the network gurus will be along shortly with more info and what to do/look for.

JohnD
March 12th, 2017, 01:40
Any chance you could host off a wired connection?

damned
March 12th, 2017, 04:57
The first time a player connects to your campaign is typically the biggest download.
They will download all of the following that they dont have exact copies of on their system:

1. The ruleset you are playing
2. Any rulesets it is layered on
3. All active extensions
4. All Modules that you have ticked green in this campaign
5. All shared images
6. All tokens in the shared directory

Possibly some other stuff too.
If (example) they had already connected to you in this campaign and downloaded all of the above previously they will only get changed data on the new connection - however I think that a single change in something like the PHB will require the whole PHB to re-download.

How far from the wifi are you?

If you do
ping 8.8.8.8 -n 500
how many dropouts do you get?

Do the same ping test while players are connecting - what result do you get?

damned
March 12th, 2017, 04:58
Oh - another thing that could be causing this is some wifi security like tcp flood settings etc. You could try disabling those.

Fizban
March 12th, 2017, 17:43
Thanks for the answers guys, I'll give these a try.
No can do with wired connection. When the Openreach engineer set us up for fibre he disconnected every port in the house except for the one by the front door. Furthest point in the house from any bedrooms, and not a power socket within 2-3 meters. Even though I specifically asked him to make another port the primary active port! But that's another rant.

I'll try the rest though, cheers.

Fiz.

Galdrin
March 13th, 2017, 08:59
I had similar problems with my WiFi AP as far as possible from the computer I use for Fantasy Grounds. The initial load of data when players connected (new shared content, comparing previously shared content) caused a lot of transmission errors and resends which more or less killed my Wifi for 10-30 minutes. I solved it with a cheap Ethernet Powerline Adapter similar to this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Configuration-Required-TL-PA4010KIT-V1-20/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489391672&sr=8-1&keywords=ethernet+powerline+adapter

Those adapters has their own problems like latency and reduced speed, but for my FG-computer they worked just fine.

Talyn
March 13th, 2017, 15:09
If it's at all possible, given the massive transfers that occur when a player connects for the first time, try to have your server up and have each player connect at a different time? Split the workload and bandwidth as much as possible. Subsequent connections should be smaller transfers and less of a big deal.

Also minimize (or outright eliminate) the number of shared tokens. Also don't share any modules that would typically be "GM only" material like a bestiary/monster manual or DM/GM Guide, etc. only share Player Guides.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2017, 15:38
And keep your image file size below 1MB (even lower if you can) as large image sharing can kill a poor link.

Fizban
March 18th, 2017, 00:11
Hi Damned, did a series of ping tests and here are the results:

Nothing Running
Packets: Sent = 500, Recieved = 421, Lost = 79 (15% loss), Approximate round trip time sin milli-seconds: Mininum = 14ms, Maximum = 3988ms, Average = 132ms.

Fantasy Grounds (Host Only)

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 419, Lost = 81 (16% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 3731ms, Average = 121ms

Fantasy Grounds (Host only) and Discord

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 332, Lost = 168 (33% loss),
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 878ms, Average = 29ms

Connection dropped half way through, did not reconnect.

Fantasy Grounds (Geographically local players connected) and Discord

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 420, Lost = 80 (16% loss),
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 510ms, Average = 16ms

First 300-400 went really well, with less than 10 "Request timed out" messages. Player initiated download of PHB module and my connection droppped. After some time the connection took back up and performed the remainder of the test without issue.

Fantasy Grounds (US player connected with geographically local players)

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 319, Lost = 181 (36% loss),
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 402ms, Average = 41ms

Again the first 300ish went really well, with interruptions few and far between. Then the connection dropped without reconnecting.

damned
March 18th, 2017, 01:23
Woah. 15% packet loss is crazy. When browsing the web etc it will survive that sort of packet loss but many applications will struggle mightily with that level.
Really you want something 10x lower than that.
You need to work out some way to bring your computer and the wireless closer together - or to run cable...
Might be time to climb under the house or into the ceiling?

Nylanfs
March 18th, 2017, 02:23
Maybe a mesh network like eero?

https://eero.com/

Andraax
March 18th, 2017, 02:38
Yeah, this is what I get on my wifi (about 50 ft, through 2 walls):

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 500, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 74ms, Maximum = 112ms, Average = 79ms

damned
March 18th, 2017, 03:10
and as a comparison to a wired service -

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 500, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 10ms

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2017, 03:19
You can look at changing your wi-fi channel. Depending upon where you are and what frequencey you are using (2.4 or 5 GHz) the channels available will be different.

Download a 'wifi analyzer' app for your phone and take a look at what it shows. Your network is probably using the same channel(s) as everyone else is using. Look to see what channels are little to no use. Then log into your router/AP and change the channel setting to the less used channel.

Full Bleed
March 18th, 2017, 03:37
Depending upon where you are and what frequencey you are using (2.4 or 5 GHz)
Actually, *this* is where I'd look first. I would turn off/disable your 5 GHz radio (assuming you have one) and use the 2.4 GHz band exclusively.

Andraax
March 18th, 2017, 05:16
Actually, *this* is where I'd look first. I would turn off/disable your 5 GHz radio (assuming you have one) and use the 2.4 GHz band exclusively.

And if there is a microwave somewhere near the line between your computer and router, do the opposite.

Fizban
March 18th, 2017, 23:05
I don't use the 5g for my PC due to the range. That's kept for things like the sky box and the xbox. I've moved the microwave and all portable phones out of the way of my wifi. I usually use channel 14 as my router (not modem) is the only one in range with access to that channel so it's pretty much exclusively mine. That eero is way out of my wifi range, but I've got a router that can potentially be used as a media bridge, not sure if that would prevent the same issues from happening though.

Meh, I'll figure something out. Thanks guys.

swbuza
March 19th, 2017, 02:48
Ethernet over power line

Willot
March 19th, 2017, 03:50
Did you check your router's security logs to make sure the firewall wasnt panicing thinking it was a flood attack, thats what my router did to me!

damned
March 19th, 2017, 04:08
Did you check your router's security logs to make sure the firewall wasnt panicing thinking it was a flood attack, thats what my router did to me!

There is quite possibly more than one issue at play.
The 15% packet loss without FG running is an issue.
When FG players cannot reconnect certainly could be tcp flood protection .

Full Bleed
March 19th, 2017, 06:25
I don't use the 5g for my PC due to the range. That's kept for things like the sky box and the xbox.
"Not using it with the PC" isn't the same as disabling it so that the router is only handling 2.4 traffic. Your router may have issues negotiating the use of both radios at the same time (causing your packet loss.)

The 15% packet loss without FG running is an issue.
Most certainly.

Fizban, what network adapter are you using and what Transmit Buffer settings are you using on the adapter? (Device Manager>right click on the device>Properties>Advanced)

Fizban
March 22nd, 2017, 23:56
All sorted now guys. Run the issue by a mate in work and he said "Stop crying you lethargic ponse and get gud". So I went out and bought a Krone tool, and set the upstairs phone port as a data extension. Must have been something in the floors because it's working perfectly f'ing fine now.

Thanks for the tips though guys!

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 499, Lost = 1 (0% loss),
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 65ms, Average = 15ms

damned
March 23rd, 2017, 01:09
All sorted now guys. Run the issue by a mate in work and he said "Stop crying you lethargic ponse and get gud". So I went out and bought a Krone tool, and set the upstairs phone port as a data extension. Must have been something in the floors because it's working perfectly f'ing fine now.

Thanks for the tips though guys!

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 499, Lost = 1 (0% loss),
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 65ms, Average = 15ms

Three cheers for some tough love and some action!
I think you will find your next session goes waaaay better.
And if it doesnt then check out the TCP Flood settings under your routers firewall settings.