Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Wifi keeps dropping and FG is the only correlating factor

Hi Forum,

Over the last 6 months or so, I regularly lose internet connection when hosting a game in FG. I have tried many things to fix it, and have tested (including stress testing) my connection with the other programs I use. I have swapped out my entire hardware setup (was due for one anyway lol) but the problem persists. I'll explain in more detail.

When I begin hosting a game in FG, all is well. However when players start connecting I often lose my wifi connection. Not just FG but everything goes. I end up having to reset my connection and will usually need to do this two or three times. This problem stops when I get about 30 minutes into the game session and is fine for the rest of the night.

I cannot find one in the forums, but is there any precedent for this sort of thing happening? Is there a large data dump at the start of a session which could potentially cause packet loss (which would probably result in me losing connection)?

Thanks in advance guys.
    ..... now where is my hat?

Blog Entries
    There is a large transfer when each player connects. It can get really bad if your players are on the same wifi network as yourself. If that's the case, try to just have one connect at a time and wait until they are fully in before starting the next one.

One of the network gurus will be along shortly with more info and what to do/look for.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Any chance you could host off a wired connection?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    The first time a player connects to your campaign is typically the biggest download.
    They will download all of the following that they dont have exact copies of on their system:

1. The ruleset you are playing
    2. Any rulesets it is layered on
    3. All active extensions
    4. All Modules that you have ticked green in this campaign
    5. All shared images
    6. All tokens in the shared directory

Possibly some other stuff too.
    If (example) they had already connected to you in this campaign and downloaded all of the above previously they will only get changed data on the new connection - however I think that a single change in something like the PHB will require the whole PHB to re-download.

How far from the wifi are you?

If you do
    ping 8.8.8.8 -n 500
    how many dropouts do you get?

Do the same ping test while players are connecting - what result do you get?

Blog Entries
    Oh - another thing that could be causing this is some wifi security like tcp flood settings etc. You could try disabling those.

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll give these a try.
    No can do with wired connection. When the Openreach engineer set us up for fibre he disconnected every port in the house except for the one by the front door. Furthest point in the house from any bedrooms, and not a power socket within 2-3 meters. Even though I specifically asked him to make another port the primary active port! But that's another rant.

I'll try the rest though, cheers.

Fiz.

I had similar problems with my WiFi AP as far as possible from the computer I use for Fantasy Grounds. The initial load of data when players connected (new shared content, comparing previously shared content) caused a lot of transmission errors and resends which more or less killed my Wifi for 10-30 minutes. I solved it with a cheap Ethernet Powerline Adapter similar to this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-C...erline+adapter

Those adapters has their own problems like latency and reduced speed, but for my FG-computer they worked just fine.

Blog Entries
    If it's at all possible, given the massive transfers that occur when a player connects for the first time, try to have your server up and have each player connect at a different time? Split the workload and bandwidth as much as possible. Subsequent connections should be smaller transfers and less of a big deal.

Also minimize (or outright eliminate) the number of shared tokens. Also don't share any modules that would typically be "GM only" material like a bestiary/monster manual or DM/GM Guide, etc. only share Player Guides.

And keep your image file size below 1MB (even lower if you can) as large image sharing can kill a poor link.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Damned, did a series of ping tests and here are the results:

Nothing Running
    Packets: Sent = 500, Recieved = 421, Lost = 79 (15% loss), Approximate round trip time sin milli-seconds: Mininum = 14ms, Maximum = 3988ms, Average = 132ms.

Fantasy Grounds (Host Only)

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 419, Lost = 81 (16% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 3731ms, Average = 121ms

Fantasy Grounds (Host only) and Discord

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 332, Lost = 168 (33% loss),
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 878ms, Average = 29ms

Connection dropped half way through, did not reconnect.

Fantasy Grounds (Geographically local players connected) and Discord

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 420, Lost = 80 (16% loss),
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 510ms, Average = 16ms

First 300-400 went really well, with less than 10 "Request timed out" messages. Player initiated download of PHB module and my connection droppped. After some time the connection took back up and performed the remainder of the test without issue.

Fantasy Grounds (US player connected with geographically local players)

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 319, Lost = 181 (36% loss),
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 402ms, Average = 41ms

Again the first 300ish went really well, with interruptions few and far between. Then the connection dropped without reconnecting.

Thread Information