STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Clarifications Cavalier build and FEATS

I have not been able to find any clarifications for the rules pertaining to abilities like Cavalier Hold the line, Warding maneuver, Feats like Pole arm master & Sentinel. Note that the PHB pg. 7 says Specific Beats General. Many racial traits, class features, spells, magic items, monster abilities, and other game elements break the general rules in some way, creating an exception to how the rest of the game works.
    I am looking for other DM opinions and if anyone knows of an official ruling?
    Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Ruling on what specifically?

There are several places you can look for psuedo-official ruling, like SAge Advice, and lots of forums for unofficial rulings.

But, are you wondering if Hold the Line allows reactions on Teleport or...?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I have looked at sage advice and haven't been able to find any ruling on my above questions and no I am not referring to if you can make an opportunity attack on a target if the are moved by spell or push or against there own movement.

Pole Arm Master: While you a glaive, halberd, pike. or quarterstaff other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter the reach you have with that weapon.

Sentinel: Creatures provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the disengage action before leaving your reach.
    When a creature within your reach makes an attack against a target other than you(and that target doesn't have this Feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.
    [This last one I include mostly because it specifically states you use the reaction to use the power.]

Cavalier: Hold the Line; At 10th level you become a master of locking down your enemies. Creature's provoke an opportunity attack from you when they move 5 feet or more while within your reach, and if you hit a creature with an opportunity attack , the target's speed is reduced to 0 until the end of the current turn.

I think that going by the PHB pg.7 Specific Beats General that in all of the above case you can make multiple opportunity attacks (PHB pg.195 rule for Opportunity attacks) as long as you still have your reaction un used. I know that's Goofy. I would prefer that WOTC make a ruling like equal to x attribute or your proficiency bonus.

That's my best interpretation am I wrong?
    Last edited by Blackwolf; August 12th, 2018 at 17:24.

You can only have one reaction during a round (p190 PHB). An opportunity attack uses your reaction (P195 PHB). Ergo you can only ever make one opportunity attack per round.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Yea, I agree with Z. You only have one reaction so you can only make one opportunity attack per round.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ok explain the Cavaliers 18th level ability Vigilant Defender then: Starting at 18th level you can respond to a danger with extraordinary vigilance. In combat, you get a special reaction that you can take once on every creature's turn, except your turn. You can use this special reaction only to make an opportunity attack, and you can't use it on the same turn you take your normal reaction.

Is there even a case where you can take a reaction during your normal turn other than the shield spell and counter spell most of which would not fall into this situation when discussing fighter types, So its extremely rare to have used your reaction during your normal active portion of your turn.

Second Is there ever a case where you would make an opportunity attack during your turn? if not why specify not your turn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    Ok explain the Cavaliers 18th level ability Vigilant Defender then: Starting at 18th level you can respond to a danger with extraordinary vigilance. In combat, you get a special reaction that you can take once on every creature's turn, except your turn. You can use this special reaction only to make an opportunity attack, and you can't use it on the same turn you take your normal reaction.

Is there even a case where you can take a reaction during your normal turn other than the shield spell and counter spell most of which would not fall into this situation when discussing fighter types, So its extremely rare to have used your reaction during your normal active portion of your turn.

Second Is there ever a case where you would make an opportunity attack during your turn? if not why specify not your turn.
    Specific outweighs general.

All of those other traits/abilities state you use your reaction to make an opp attack. The general rules state you only get one reaction per turn. They do not say you can make extra reactions. Vigilant Defender specifically states you get multiple 'special reaction's, therefore you can make multiple opp attack IF you are using Vigilant Defender.

Just because one ability gives a specific capability, doesn't mean that other abilities also get that capability.

Now, can someone make a reaction on their turn? Probably, I don't know of any valid situations when you could, but their is nothing that says you can't. I just don't know of any valid reactions triggers that occur on your own turn (since forced position/movement doesn't normally trigger).

Yes I am saying That it sounds to me that the way it reads that if you don't use your reaction for something during your active portion of a turn, and still have it after movement attacking and bonus action and saying I'm done for this round etc. Your turn then those abilities and Feats and powers that state in them(the specific case) that you may make more than one opportunity attack. It allows it. Until you are something else uses your reaction, and most of those cases do not say they use it except for part of Sentinel Feat.
    Last edited by Blackwolf; August 14th, 2018 at 17:12.

I can't think of a reaction that you take on your turn either. Pretty much always a recreation occurs on someone else's turn (even the shield spell and Couterspells - because the triggers happen on another creatures turn). However that's not to say that there is something that pops off during your turn. At any rate that feat is simply specifying that you can use that feat only on another creatures turn and, as you say, provided you haven't already used it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

SA Compendium clarifies about taking reactions on your turn. https://media.wizards.com/2016/downl...Compendium.pdf

Can you also cast a reaction spell on your turn? You sure
    can! Here’s a common way for it to happen: Cornelius the
    wizard is casting fireball on his turn, and his foe casts counterspell
    on him. Cornelius has counterspell prepared, so he
    uses his reaction to cast it and break his foe’s counterspell
    before it can stop fireball.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Thread Information