FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 29 of 37 First ... 192728293031 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate the reference manual format and the work that was done to make it available on DMS Guild. Since this was started, Smiteworks has added additional functionality into the 5e ruleset that allows creation within FG of much of what the module provides. I was one if the people complaining loudly about how hard it was to create classes without doing the work directly in XML and Nickademus said in the forums that it was not all that hard and then he went and did it, including in reference manual format.

We all hoped that DMS Guild was a safe place to offer the content, and it was there a long time. Much of what is in the module has been subject to further refinement and has been cleaned up and published as official rules in Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

WoTC has always stopped distribution of their "free" articles except for where they have specific control. They have done it with 3rd party summaries of Sage Advice, for example.

It seems that they have decided to have official partners offer UA content via their approved platforms that WoTC already has a business arrangement with. They have not pulled the old articles and with the built-in tools for FG, you can quickly recreate it with the exception of reference manuals.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Well, I think I'm splitting hairs at this point, but the thing is, the UA module was not taken down from the DMsG. It was made private and the option of making it public again was disabled. That's all... no notification of copyright infringement, no violation, no cease and desist, no notice at all that I had done something wrong. And no reply to my attempt to contact them for a reason.

It's not the fact that the module is no longer able to be distributed on the DMsG that gets me. It's the fact that Smiteworks had no knowledge of it and no one from either WotC or OneBookShelf has made any effort to contact me to say that it's not allowed. Technically all the material is still covered under the DMsG's guidelines so I could put the module up again under a new page and it would be legal since they have yet to state that it is an exception to the site's rules. I'm not going to because I don't care to rock the boat, but I'd think that at the very least I'd have gotten a notice of infraction on my DMsG account for posting improper content. The lack of communication and blatant ignoring of emails is what bothers me.

In the end, I don't really care that much as I did what I could and now legals are working against community spirit (something I've gotten used to). As long as I don't see the full list of UA articles being offered on Roll20... that would make me furious that WotC suddenly started playing favorites.
    Last edited by Nickademus; February 14th, 2018 at 19:44.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    That is OBS. I also am not sure about the use of UA. They do not want you to copy and paste the rule book text and I don’t remember UA being specifically listed as being available as a resource on DMS Guild.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

I totally agree with you Nickademus.

Since dndbeyond is getting the same treatment as FG I'd say (granted I'm fairly new to this market) that Roll20 won't get anything above that unless they put out a ton of cash. But WOTC has been doing videos directly with dndbeyond and Critical Role is tightly integrated with them now too. Therefore in my logic if dndbeyond isn't getting it, then I wouldn't expect any other VTT solution to get it.

I just wish there was a way you (and other content creators) could distribute the older UA still as a community member. That's a lot of work now sitting idle not being able to be shared.

So if I asked someone to share the file with me as a friend, would that also be frowned upon?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircooled View Post
    So if I asked someone to share the file with me as a friend, would that also be frowned upon?
    You are no longer permitted to share this material.
    You can download the PDFs and enter the data in yourself using the methods outlined in Zachaeus (Philip Greig) youtube videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircooled View Post
    If you consider that Smiteworks’ entire business model is around IP and a significant portion of what allows them to run their business and deliver the software and content we all like enjoy using, you would understand why they are strict and even normal forum users like me are strict.

Honestly, the UA modules that have not been cleaned up and are in the actual rules are pretty simple to enter with a quick cut and paste. Only the reference manual format is harder. That was added after this project started.

I understand, that makes sense. I figured there wasn't any harm in asking.

Just my opinion, but i feel like the product description for the new official Unearthed Arcana module should state clearly that it only includes playtest material after a certain release date, or have a list of which articles it includes. My assumption, given the current description, would be that it includes all the UA material.

Thanks,
    Shimrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimrath View Post
    Just my opinion, but i feel like the product description for the new official Unearthed Arcana module should state clearly that it only includes playtest material after a certain release date, or have a list of which articles it includes. My assumption, given the current description, would be that it includes all the UA material.

Thanks,
    Shimrath.
    I don't think it can be any clearer that it is playtest material. I agree though that it should be clearer on what is included. I'll see if the store description can be changed to reflect that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information