STAR TREK 2d20

Map/Image Loading Times

Hey all,

First time poster on the forums, but im having an issue with my sessions that has been plaguing me for quite some time. I do not believe there particularly is a fix for this, however thought I should ask to confirm whether if its a me issue or a FG limitation.

Im having problems with FG lagging hard whenever I attempt to load image directories with high data (10k images and such) and is even worse when importing VTTs.

The lag is horrendous to the point that FG just crashes and freezes the entire client for everyone, even if its just me solo, whenever I attempt to import a VTT. FG wrongly generating tons of the collision walls by a large margin.
    For example: I complete a wall in Dungeon Alchemist where the VTT exporter has only 1 line with 2 points for collision. However, when I import, that wall turns into 50 points and is making 50 walls instead of only one; prompting me to have to delete everything and do it all manually by hand. Which, depending on the image quality, may be near impossible due to the immense lag.

I find myself being forced to downgrade my imagery and map quality just so FG doesnt crash and my players can load images in a reasonable time.

First, Is there a way to have high-quality imagery without such problems? I mean really, FG cant even function with a single HQ image without any of the bells and whistles for dynamic lighting and such. Plain imagery.

Second, I have began creating animated battle maps. Does FG currently support the webp animated maps? Will they ever? I know they support webp imports, but whenever I try to load it, it ends up becoming a still image.

Third, is anyone else having issues with synchronization between Synrinscape and FG? Im having issues where sounds must be initiated when the browser is up, otherwise all sounds just queue and all play at the same time whenever the browser is opened. Otherwise, do you know if its possible to upload music to Synrinscape that FG can be compatible with?

For your image issues, please refer to the image guidelines published in the FG Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...uct+Guidelines

FG strongly recommends that if you're having issues you should keep your images within the guidelines.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    FG supports animated images, if you use the correct VP8 codec. A lot of programs use VP9, but Unity doesn't quite support those in the way FG needs, so that codec is not supported. You may need to convert your images.

Someone else will need to answer Syrinscape question as I don't use it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramsay View Post
    Third, is anyone else having issues with synchronization between Synrinscape and FG? Im having issues where sounds must be initiated when the browser is up, otherwise all sounds just queue and all play at the same time whenever the browser is opened. Otherwise, do you know if its possible to upload music to Synrinscape that FG can be compatible with?
    I don't have any issues. What are your exact steps to reproduce?

Yes, you can upload sounds to Syrinscape through the web master interface - accessible from the Dashboard on syrinscape.com - you'll need a subscription to be able to upload sounds.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

There is a tool to reduce occluders points, which might help with the lag, if each point is not an individually drawn line. How large are your maps dimensionally? Try to keep the maps a bit smaller and between 1080-2K size and dimensions, especially in dimensions. Also, maybe adding your own LoS occluders in Fantasy Grounds might be more helpful.

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.co...s-optimization

Huge folders full of images can create indexing issues, especially if Fantasy Grounds has to build thumbnail previews with the image assets window.

Audio related:
    https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.co...dated-01-26-24
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Laerun; April 19th, 2024 at 08:06.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gramsay View Post
    Hey all,
    First time poster on the forums, but im having an issue with my sessions that has been plaguing me for quite some time. I do not believe there particularly is a fix for this, however thought I should ask to confirm whether if its a me issue or a FG limitation.
    FG limitation mixed with a possible you issue.

Im having problems with FG lagging hard whenever I attempt to load image directories with high data (10k images and such) and is even worse when importing VTTs.
    I have 10s of 1000s of images in FGU and no lag at all.
    Use this data on your fastest drive. Remember an M.2 is about 6000MB/s read/write, SSD is about 400MB/s and a HD is about 50MB/s, if you running it on an external drive you looking at like 10MB/s.
    So if you have your stuff on an M.2 drive it can help over an normal HD by over 100x faster. Makes a huge difference.
    Break your 10k images into more folders you should be just fine.

The lag is horrendous to the point that FG just crashes and freezes the entire client for everyone, even if its just me solo, whenever I attempt to import a VTT. FG wrongly generating tons of the collision walls by a large margin.
    For example: I complete a wall in Dungeon Alchemist where the VTT exporter has only 1 line with 2 points for collision. However, when I import, that wall turns into 50 points and is making 50 walls instead of only one; prompting me to have to delete everything and do it all manually by hand. Which, depending on the image quality, may be near impossible due to the immense lag.
    Couple of things go easy on the lighting, as it has a lot of possible lag, if you want to put lighting and don't care if its dynamic or not that will help save some resources. I often times go back in after import from DA and delete some of the extra dynamic lighting they add. No need for that many.

As was posted above, there is a couple click tool that can help you get rid of the extra points, its really fast and easy. I use it for DA all the time.

I find myself being forced to downgrade my imagery and map quality just so FG doesnt crash and my players can load images in a reasonable time.
    What is your upload speed and size of the map? It sounds like you might be a bottleneck here. You have to rememeber if you have a 200Mbps upload and you have 5 players trying to get the map at the same time, and you are uploading a 100MB file, best case that is going to take all of them 20s just to get the map, plus extra time to load it into memory and process it, plus the lightning/LOS effects. So be mindful of the size of the images you are making. Having said that, I have 1000Mbps upload speed so I'm able to use much larger maps than most and not really see any issues. There are some minor issues in RAM increased uses, however, its still pretty easy program to run on most computers now in days even if you using 10kx10k maps like I do.
    The larger the map, just remember to watch your LOS and # of tokens. Each token is an extra calc of data needed to move the tokens around and see vision/LOS. However, this isn't the problem you are running into (yet), because you having issues just loading images and sharing them. But I'm prewarning you, this is really the bigger problem, the issue you having now is something else and you can fix it.

First, Is there a way to have high-quality imagery without such problems? I mean really, FG cant even function with a single HQ image without any of the bells and whistles for dynamic lighting and such. Plain imagery.
    I use high quality images all the time, no issues.

Second, I have began creating animated battle maps. Does FG currently support the webp animated maps? Will they ever? I know they support webp imports, but whenever I try to load it, it ends up becoming a still image.
    Already supported. FGU really handles WEBP maps better IMO than JPG maps, I run them even at HQ and it's fine again, make sure your watching all the things that can bottleneck your computer/internet/playerscomputers too.

I don't use Syrinscape, I use VLC player and a second DISCORD account running PTB version on the same computer running local sounds for these things. I can run youtube, or music, or sound effect files or whatever I want. I can even load up local Syrinscape and play sounds from it without my players having to use a player. Lots of options to use here if you want to take the time to do it. I use a virtual audio cable for my 2nd discord and pipe what I want my players to hear.

The answers you see above are the pat answers to cover themselves, but really you can run huge maps (I've ran over 1gig maps many times no lag) you just have to know what are the limits and what causes things to slow down if you want to do things like that.

TLDR:
    Biggest issues:
    *Your upload speed.
    *# of tokens on the map and CT.
    *Put FGU and assets on fastest drive (M.2 best by far)
    *Remove any extra LOS and Lighting Effects (if not needing the lighting)

Thread Information