Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Preconfigured Tokens?

I am going to float an idea here to see what other folks think, or maybe this function already exists and my Google-fu is not good enough to find it.

I am wondering if it is possible to preconfigure tokens with XML akin to how one can configure art assets. For example, the ability to set the 5ft map grid square and centre point of the token, rather than the token art being auto-squished into a map grid square?

This could enable us to use tokens that are not square and have token artwork that spills over the edge of a map grid square, instead of forcing token artwork inside a grid square.
    Last edited by Tailz Silver Paws; April 5th, 2024 at 00:43.
    Tailz, the Artist of Studio WyldFurr
    Follow Studio WyldFurr on Twitter, Facebook, and the studio web site.
    "The London Underground, is not a resistance movement!"

That's what this thread is all about:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...es-in-3D-space

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    That link is for camera view tokens. I think the idea for other tokens is interesting. i.e. being able to have a horse or giant snake etc be defined as a 1x2 grid would be fun. Though I recognize that at least the D&D 5E rules don't use non-square creatures, other rule do (though I'm not sure about the rulesets.

One possible solution for right now is transparency. Since tokens now support alpha channels, you can make a token that looks 1x2 but is really 2x2. But I can see TSPs desire for things that spill outside the square.

For instance, sometimes if I make a top down token for a warrior with a 10ft long pike, it looks poor being compressed down to a 5ft square. It would be nice if the warriro fit in the square, but his pike extended outside of it.

I think this would be a great idea for the feature request list; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featurerequests

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    That link is for camera view tokens. I think the idea for other tokens is interesting. i.e. being able to have a horse or giant snake etc be defined as a 1x2 grid would be fun. Though I recognize that at least the D&D 5E rules don't use non-square creatures, other rule do (though I'm not sure about the rulesets.

One possible solution for right now is transparency. Since tokens now support alpha channels, you can make a token that looks 1x2 but is really 2x2. But I can see TSPs desire for things that spill outside the square.

For instance, sometimes if I make a top down token for a warrior with a 10ft long pike, it looks poor being compressed down to a 5ft square. It would be nice if the warriro fit in the square, but his pike extended outside of it.
    Your last comment has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Squashing the artwork into a single grid square limits the artwork, you can't have dynamic poses or objects that spill outside the map grid square, when they really should.

This was not so much a problem in FG Classic, but FG Unity seems to really only want to support what I call "pogs" or discs for tokens. It's the one thing I think some other platforms beat FG on... but it's also a trend with some other platforms to just squish everything into a grid square.

But that is just my point of view....

I think this would be a great idea for the feature request list; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featurerequests
    I was thinking that,but thought I would post the idea here first just in case my google-fu had not found an already existing answer.

Blog Entries
    The existing answer is to scale the token after it's added to the map. Not a very friendly way to go about it I'm sure this is one of those things that was inherited 15 years ago and no one has ever really made a case for doing it differently. But with the camera view and the evolutions of VTTs, people like you are going, "wouldn't it be cool if..."
    I'll vote for it!

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Can you post a mock-up image with a couple use cases so we can clearly see what you are thinking.

We don’t currently use xml for the 2d tokens at all,
    But perhaps we could as an override. The system expects that everything will fit into a square currently, so we would need to consider what a change of that assumption might involve.

I like the Idea and think the Pike mens example is a good one. Perhaps it is a way to define the todays one token as an entity of two tokens. One f. E. For the body, one for the Pike. And both are stacked in a predefined way to avoid weird results. The Auto scale Option is generally fine and Shows good results on a grid

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Can you post a mock-up image with a couple use cases so we can clearly see what you are thinking.
    The grey box in this example is a 5ft map grid square. Each token has elements that spill outside the 5ft square grid box.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    We don’t currently use xml for the 2d tokens at all,
    But perhaps we could as an override. The system expects that everything will fit into a square currently, so we would need to consider what a change of that assumption might involve.
    There is XML to tell Fantasy Grounds that an image asset uses a grid size of X by X, could it not the same work as token image assets?
    Something like...

<root>
    <grid>on</grid>
    <gridsize>180,180</gridsize>
    </root>

The image is then centred on the grid square. Or could have XY cords that tell Fantasy Grounds the center position of the image?

Which could become...

<root>
    <grid>on</grid>
    <gridsize>180,180</gridsize>
    <xypos>90,90</xypos>
    </root>

Blog Entries
    Dang, I like those! By chance are you now making "coordinated" images for top down, portrait and standup images for your "tokens"?

Dang, I like those! By chance are you now making "coordinated" images for top down, portrait and standup images for your "tokens"?
    I am seriously considering it, as the "camera" style character images are quite similar to what I have planned for Isometric tokens... so two birds, one stone?

But I hesitate for tokens of late because of the squish to grid square factor.... thus the thread....

Thread Information