STAR TREK 2d20

Gauntlets of Ogre Power; the STR: XX Effect and Encumbrance

Hi Folks,
    I was wondering if FGU is functioning as intended. When taking an item like Gauntlets of Ogre Power, one typically would add the effect in the CT of "STR: XX" to reflect the 19 strength. This does allow it to work properly for the To Hit and Damage rolls. However, something that it doesn't take into account (which I believe is missing) is the encumbrance effect. The Gauntlets item state:
    "Your Strength score is 19 while you wear these gauntlets. They have no effect on you if your Strength is 19 or higher without them."

My understanding / interpretation of this is that it also should be adjusting/increasing the encumbrance carrying capacity allowance to reflect the 19 strength to a carrying capacity limit of 285lbs (19 x 15). However, that does not happen with the STR: XX coding. Thus, it creates a situation of a PC with a much lower strength going over his 'natural' strength allowance and causing them to be encumbered which then causes disadvantage on rolls etc. First, should it be doing this? If it is intended (which I'm not sure why tbh), is there a way other than manually changing the PC's strength score to 19 to have this calculated/coded correctly to reflect the carrying capacity also? Any guidance is appreciated and if I'm missing something, feel free to set me straight - lol. Thanks!

This is how effects work - as documented in the FG Wiki: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ced+Automation

"In Fantasy Grounds an effect is anything which gives the character either a bonus or penalty of some kind to a dice roll they are about to make. In order for the effect to be properly executed the character must be on the Combat Tracker (CT) and either they or another actor must make a dice roll which involves the character. In other words effects are checked when a character attacks, does damage, makes a saving throw (including death saves) or makes an ability or skill check. Effects are also checked when that same character is attacked, or damaged or has a saving throw, ability check or skill check forced on them (such as from a spell)."

It does not apply to a base ability - in this example STR on the character sheet is not changed, the effect only triggers when a dice roll involving STR is made.

If you want statistics in the character sheet to update then you'll have to manually change the ability score - but then you'll need to remember to remove that manual change if it no longer applies (e.g. the gauntlets are removed).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Mad Nomad's Character Sheet extension might do this for you since it goes back and edits the display of the character sheet. Not sure if it will change encumbrance though.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Mad Nomad's Character Sheet extension might do this for you since it goes back and edits the display of the character sheet. Not sure if it will change encumbrance though.
    Mad Nomad's Sheet used to do this but he updated it so it wouldn't actually update the statistic. It looks like this is only manual then. I appreciate everyone's response.

Thread Information