DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Line of sight in FGU should come with a new token visibility system

With line of sight being implemented, I'd really like a way to not have to add encounters to the Combat Tracker before I can make the tokens visible. I'd much prefer token visibility was related to "line of sight" or "masking" only.

If my PCs are walking around a corner, I'd like them to suddenly realize "OH SHOOT, ITS A MONSTER!" instead of me having to go, "oh, they turned right, I need to stop them, add the encounter to the CT and then reveal the tokens, and say GUESS WHAT, A MONSTER!"

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    So how would the tokens get added to the map? Using pre-placed encounters it is a single click.

Also, be aware that tokens themselves have no data in FG. NPCs objects have the data, including images assigned to them as a token. Next, the automation and such associated with PC's and NPCs require that they get added to the map from the combat tracker.

I think you'll find if you use pre-placed encounters, it is 2 clicks to add and reveal monsters on a map. one to add to the CT and the map, then one to reveal them. You can actually add monsters before they even get to the corner (i.e. add the ones to both the right and the left) and then just reveal the ones you need when they turn the corner (open the door).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by scarymike23 View Post
    With line of sight being implemented, I'd really like a way to not have to add encounters to the Combat Tracker before I can make the tokens visible. I'd much prefer token visibility was related to "line of sight" or "masking" only.

If my PCs are walking around a corner, I'd like them to suddenly realize "OH SHOOT, ITS A MONSTER!" instead of me having to go, "oh, they turned right, I need to stop them, add the encounter to the CT and then reveal the tokens, and say GUESS WHAT, A MONSTER!"

Thoughts?
    It's a nice idea. I don't think it will be easy/straightforward to include simplified pre-placement, but it could be done. Some of this is available in the Enhanced Combat extension for D&D 5E, I've never tried it in anger myself, but you can check it out here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...bat-extension)
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hm, another idea would be something like a second CT for passive NPCs where you can produce all the temporary NPC data as usual but such that these NPCs are not in the "main CT"; then the main CT remains clearly represented since there are only the NPCs involved in the fight while the other NPCs are on the map but not clustering the main CT (and their data would still be quickly available in the passive CT when one needs it for some reason). Then maybe with some Drag&Drop ability, i.e. one can drag&drop NPCs from the passive CT into the main CT when the other NPCs are somehow now involved in a fight (due to an alert, players were moving and so on) But I do not have any clue about how much work this would mean, so I can understand when one wants to avoid that

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I think you'll find if you use pre-placed encounters, it is 2 clicks to add and reveal monsters on a map. one to add to the CT and the map, then one to reveal them.
    This could be reduced to one click if the monster tokens were added to the map with mask-sensitive visibility, rather than non-visibility (which is the current default).

Blog Entries
    Yes, a one click reduction for some use cases. But it would cause problems for other use cases.

For instance, Wednesday my party was proceeding across a mud and magma plain. I pre-placed the mud mephits but kept them invisible because they had not yet popped up from the mud. And I could then effectively move them about under the mud while the players explored above. Had it been mask sensitivity when I initially placed them, they would have seen the tokens for the time it would have taken me to hide them.

ITs a design trad-off, but I think the right one since it is easy to overcome when its not the ideal choice, and doesn't work to negatively impact other use cases.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

You're right, it's a trade-off. The problem is that it's currently not one click to give all tokens mask-sensitive visibility - it has to be done token-by-token. Perhaps the best solution would be to add that as an option to the Combat Tracker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    You're right, it's a trade-off. The problem is that it's currently not one click to give all tokens mask-sensitive visibility - it has to be done token-by-token. Perhaps the best solution would be to add that as an option to the Combat Tracker.
    Click the "eye" icon on the top left of the CT, that will effect all NPCs on the CT, one-click

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Click the "eye" icon on the top left of the CT, that will effect all NPCs on the CT, one-click
    That only toggles between "visible" and "not visible", though - there's no option for "mask-sensitive visibility", which is the one that I use most.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    That only toggles between "visible" and "not visible", though - there's no option for "mask-sensitive visibility", which is the one that I use most.
    Exactly. And thus the overall problem. What is unknown at this time is if "Line of Sight" will replace mask. If everything needs to be individually marked "Mask-Sensitive" that will slow down gameplay even more than it does now.

Thread Information