FG Spreadshirt Swag

CC3+ Maps w/ Fantasy Grounds (Questions)

Hey all.

I use CC3 for making maps for my homebrew content for Fantasy Grounds. I'm often very pleased with how the map looks in CC3 but a lot of quality is striped away in the conversion to .jpg so that it can work in FG. I know you can tweak the resolution and JPG quality settings in the "save as" box, but in doing that I'm curious is there a "goto" Height, Width, Pixel and JPEG quality setting that folks have found works really nice for Fantasy Grounds? (right now I have a test map that the quality looks nice in FG but the file size is just over 1.2 mbs)

The only other thing --- unless I use huge text labels (for identifying town and city names for example) the legibility looks pretty bad -- particularly if I zoom in a little. The large labels look fine though, but I try to reserve those for regional names like "xyz Forest" or "abc mountain range". Its the town and city names that drive me nuts. Again they look fine in CC3 but during the conversion not so much. What font and size settings have you found to look legible on your CC3 maps once they are in FG?

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    If you have lots of important text you will have to use high res jpg or stay with png
    what is the image size in pixels?
    that affects memoery usage more than the kb does
    the kb mostly affect how long it takes to upload the map to the players

Blog Entries
    So a few things, as damned said, the resolution is the biggest culprit for text readability. You can easily reduce the file size without reducing the pixels by dropping the jpg quality. You will find there is probably little difference in the image if you drop it to as low as 60% (I have a large village map at 40%).

The typical resolution for battlemaps is 10 pixels per foot (50 pixels per 5 ft. square). Overland maps, have no typical resolution, though the recomendation for all images (as you probably know) is 2048x2048 pixels.

That large village map I mentioned earlier is like 2500 x 4000 pixels and 40% quality. To exceed the 2048x2048 limit is ok, for one or two maps and as long as you manage what you share (i.e. don't share a dozen oversized images, and unshare images when you don't need them anymore etc).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Sorry - I meant high quality JPG or stay with PNG
    Text in particular does get blurred with JPG compression

And we have coined a new measurement term for digital maps - pp5s pixels per 5' square

What I typically do with CC3 maps, is to export as high resolution PNG from CC3, then use Map Align to correct grid and trim file size. This usually results in much better end-quality than relying on CC3 jpg exports.

I go a step further, exporting to PNG, mapalign in PNG, and then convert to jpeg with a graphics software, which has even better compression/quality ratio then Photoshop.

Suprisingly enough I seem to be getting away with exporting to jpg at 100pp5s (I like this new measurement) and those are regularly over 3000px a side. I'll use those directly without any compression, but make sure not share more than 3-4 at any given time.
    Not best practice but it has worked for me up until this point
    Pathfinder/Traveller GM - Sometimes running CPRed, CoC, AD&D2E, and other stuff - Ultimate License
    Currently running Pirates of Drinax, and Skulls and Shackles
    Check out my little dungeon map blog

Thread Information