DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Questions about Duel Wielding

So can any character in 5e duel wield weapons? If I remember correct, last time I played (2e) you had to be ambidextrous in order to do so or take -2 penalty (i think).

Yes anyone can dual wield.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Is there any drawback to this? In general, do most games result in everyone duel wielding? Wizard included?

Blog Entries
    You can't use a shield or a two-handed weapon. You don't get your ability bonus with it and since you are limited to one bonus action every turn, two weapons don't stack with other actions or abilities.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It still feels odd. Most people cant even write their name with an off hand. Much less wield a sword without penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
    It still feels odd. Most people cant even write their name with an off hand. Much less wield a sword without penalty.
    There are several penalties. The weapon must be light which limits the weapon that can be used; you don't add your ability bonus to damage and severest of all you have to use your bonus action. For most classes the bonus action is very important and is used for a host of things. Last on that list would be attacking with another weapon.

Also of course squishy characters such as wizards would be foolish to engage in melee combat, so the dual wielding is really only useful to fighters and possibly rogues.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    There are several penalties. The weapon must be light which limits the weapon that can be used; you don't add your ability bonus to damage and severest of all you have to use your bonus action. For most classes the bonus action is very important and is used for a host of things. Last on that list would be attacking with another weapon.

Also of course squishy characters such as wizards would be foolish to engage in melee combat, so the dual wielding is really only useful to fighters and possibly rogues.
    I see what your saying but when I look at this it seems they just aren't getting bonuses. There still isn't penalty. Light weapons can still be extremely strong so that limitation isn't too much. It just seems to me that one would have to be proficient. The easiest tasks such as writing your name, throwing a ball, even wiping ones own butt would be way harder left-handed, lol.

You are free to houserule that the addacks should have disadvantage or some such penalty, but don’t get too caught up on it. The Fact that any character can dual wield is an extremely minor point. As noted above using your bonus action in this way is a severe penalty and for most classes it is useless.

Blog Entries
    In my game last night the rogue confidently moved up and attacked twice using each hand. He then told me he was using cunning action to disengage and move away. I asked him what ability have him an extra bonus action as he had just used it.

Bonus actions are a scarce resource. Attacking twice gives you 2 chances to land an attack and get a sneak attack in, but you sacrifice the ability to disengage and move away (or hide or other bonus actions).

Seems fine to me.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Here's a solid piece of advice I've heard other give numerous times in situations like this;
    "Play the rules as written before you look to change them."

5E is the most play tested and thought out version of D&D ever. The rules are very consistent, without being oppressive or complicated. Learn how the game plays and then if you wish to change things to fit more with your preconceptions from other editions or other games, go for it. But learn the game as is before passing judgement upon any mechanic.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information