STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

5E Tyranny of Dragons (Complete)

FG License: GM Has Ultimate, so no License is needed.
    Game System: D&D 5E

Time Zone: Eastern Time USA (UTC - 5)
    Day of week and time: Based on player availability, I'm aiming Thursdays from about 6 to 10.
    Planned start date: 12/13/18 (This is likely to change as the holidays will probably interfere)
    Planned Duration & Frequency: Sessions, so far have been taking the full 4 hours.
    Term: Long: This will be a minimum of 17 weeks, probably closer to 25.

Text or Voice: Both, text will be used for record keeping and with use of languages.
    Voice software used: Discord will be used for voice communication. I'll set up a room for us.

Roleplay & Combat mix: This varies, based on the team and the nature of individual sessions. Some sessions will likely be 100% role-play, while others will be as much as 80% Combat.
    Number of Players in game & needed: I would like to find between 5 and 7 players. Even with experienced players, this is a very difficult campaign (with a low chance of success).
    Character starting level & equipment: Players will begin at 1st level and may choose a standard package or buy equipment with starting wealth.
    Character restrictions: Any canon source, within reason.

I'll be running players through both halves of the Tyranny of Dragons campaign. Part 1, Hoard of the Dragon Queen will take players from Levels 1-7 while Part 2, The Rise of Tiamat will take the players from Level 8 to 15. The Campaign is both very Combat heavy and very Roleplay heavy. If you're not interested or willing to do both, please don't apply. I'd like to have a good mix of experienced and inexperienced players, both to teach and to learn. I tend to be very lenient, allowing players to choose from any canon source and allow players to roll for extremely powerful characters (my own version of a relic from AD&D 2E that rolled 5d6, discarding the two lowest), however, I will not tolerate Power Players (people who selectively set every option to make a combat heavy character). They are both unbalancing and disruptive. People attempting to do so will not only be blocked at every attempt, but on the 3rd offense, you will be kicked from the group. Consider yourself warned.

I'll be working with the players individually to set up their characters. You should have a detailed background planned out for your character (especially if you're a rare or non-standard race). This adds depth to the game, especially during role-play encounters (whether this is done during the first session or ahead of time is up to you. Chapter 1 is only about 2 hours). I'm firmly against forcing players to play a certain class in order to maintain balance, so you are free to choose any canon class, though I will tell you what classes are involved, so you can make your own decisions. As mentioned before, I'll allow most any race from canon sources. However, if you choose to play a monster race or a hated race (such as a Drow), be prepared to deal with the social problems that such species face in human settlements. I'll be sending some additional information to players regarding available background options (It is preferable for players to have been affected by or to have connections to the factions found along the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms). Again, I'll allow most any Background created, within reason.

Note: I offer rewards for good role-playing (especially when acting in-character creates conflict with the team). In addition to Inspiration points, this will include additional experience, and possibly special items.

Update: The game, currently has 6 players. They’ve completed the first three Chapters and are at level 43. However, we’re currently without a dedicated healer. Players have asked that I advertise the opening. If anyone’s interested, PM me or post below. You’re not required to take any specific class, as long as you have access to healing spells/abilities.

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=3286
    Last edited by Dave0910; January 10th, 2019 at 05:51.

Blog Entries
    [Edited original post]
    Sorry I have to recant. Recalculated time slot. 6-10 Eastern won’t work for me. Really too bad for me! Would have very much like to join.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; November 29th, 2018 at 05:33.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

I would be interested in join as I'm also in the est tz as well

I would be interested in joining this game. How do you want us to apply to join?

I'm in the eastern time zone and i can play within the days and times you are thinking about. (actually I could play any day M-F from 6 - 10)

Full disclosure -- I haven't played ANY "table top RPG" in over 20 years, but when I did play back then I played a lot and I was a DM as well (AD & D is what I ran most, but I've played few other systems in a more limited frequency like GURPS, TWILIGHT 2000 , even Car Wars if you remember that game..lol) .

If accepted into your game it would be two firsts - 1 ) First time I've played with Fantasy Grounds...but I did buy a license and I've been watching videos and doing practice "stuff" with it for a couple weeks. 2) I've not played a DnD 5th edition game yet. But like FG -- I've been reading the PHB quite a lot the last 2 weeks (also have the MM and the DMG that I'm reviewing too).

Thank you.

Lord_Blackrose - PM me with information about the character you're planning to create, race, background class and so on. When I have a full roster of players, I'll likely arrange to meet up on Discord to coordinate and create characters. We may also make those characters at the beginning of the first session, as the mission only is estimated to take 2 hours.
    Last edited by Dave0910; December 1st, 2018 at 07:22.

Mytherus - It's always good to have old-schoolers around, those of us who had to battle with THAC0's. The actual role-playing elements are mostly unchanged, and while the rolling system has undergone a massive overhaul, it's much simpler than 2E. After wall, we don't have to fill out those long lists of options for every stat (what was it? 6 saving throws?).
    Last edited by Dave0910; December 1st, 2018 at 07:22.

Okay, update for everyone who's interested. In addition to the base races and classes in Core rulebooks, I have added sub-race, Background and class specializations from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
    There are some things I'd be interested in seeing from players (more-so than exotic or monster races). The Faction Agent background would work well with this campaign as many of the more powerful factions are actively involved. A Mastermind Rogue could certainly be beneficial to the group, with the ability to inspire teammates. I like to see diverse groups, in race, class and background. The multiple perspectives on the situation allow for a lot of possibilities.
    I won't go as far as to forbid any alignment, but given the nature of this campaign, chaotic neutral/evil characters are likely to cause massive disruptions, especially given that these alignments seldom care what happens to the world as a whole (and the WHOLE of humanoid life on Faerūn is going to depend on you).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave0910 View Post
    Mytherus - It's always good to have old-schoolers around, those of us who had to battle with THAC0's. The actual role-playing elements are mostly unchanged, and while the rolling system has undergone a massive overhaul, it's much simpler than 2E. After wall, we don't have to fill out those long lists of options for every stat (what was it? 6 saving throws?).
    Ahh yes I remember good old THACO.... I'm excited to get back in the game (figuratively and literally), reading the core books , watching FG vids (and a lot of Critical Role episodes of late) helped to stoke that feeling a lot more.

Anyway enough of that though to "business".... I'm assuming it would be in my best interest (and that of ANY other players interested) to PM you with intended character information similar to as you suggested to Lord Blackrose? (In truth I'll work on it this weekend either way)

I've been looking to do Tyranny of Dragons for awhile now, The time frame in general, works really well for me (Well, minus 15 mins. I'm a third shifter and have to leave by 9:45pm the latest). If your fine with ending just before that, I'm highly interested in giving this a go.

Bit of information on myself, I've been Role-playing for over 20 years from Forum posting to PC games. I've played many different systems from Savage-Worlds, Shadow-Runner, CoC, Pathfinder, DnD 3E/5E, and more. Over the last 4 years is where i started to dive more into Voice RP from games like Ark and Conan Exile, to a point it spills over into Non-RP games when i'm with friends, just for the hell of it.

If you would like a past character concept I've done, i'll send you a PM of the character's backstory to get an idea of what i would do (I might use him with some things change'd to fit better into the story) or if you would like to chat and see if i might fit in to the ideal players your looking for, my user is VarnFury#7559 on Discord. I'm off on the weekend, so i'll be around later in the afternoon.
    -Role-Player of 15 years +
    - Savage worlds, 3.5e / 5e DnD, Pathfinder, ShadowRunner
    End of the World

Thread Information