DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Brutal lags and poor perfomance for my players

Hey! I bought ultimate version of Fantasy Grounds few days ago. When I am working on a new campaign or working trough my campaign, it works well for me. But my players have really horrible lags to the point that the app is almost not usable... Any advice? Becouse if I cant solve it, i have to make reclamation of my purchase... Sadly... I wont, but if its not working, dont know why to pay for it so much money...
    Thanks for suggestions!

Look at what you are sharing, only share the items that you know they will need PHB, some of the summoned monsters and animal companions. Check your shared token folder, don't share too many. Check your image sizes that are shared. Keep under 2000x2000, or 2mb.

Maybe you can share what you have loaded and what exactly you mean by "lag" from player perspective?

As Nylanfs suggested, going ballistic with the image size might cause delay in loading and rendering if the network bandwidth between you and the players is not sufficient.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    The performance you describe is a bandwidth issue. Try this;
    - If you are on wireless, can you use a wired connection?
    - What is your upload speed with you run an internet speed test?
    - Are you also streaming music, vidoe or other apps when you play?
    - Keep images below 1MB in file size and 2048 x2048 pixels
    - Pre-share all your images
    - Get your players log in 30 minutes early to download everything and load the required shared modules

Now how is performance?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Aha, so the modules arent downloading when they have the "download" screen, but also when they are already in my campaign? I have UPC, 20MB/s upload, wireless. But man, 20MBs! that should be sufficient, right?

Also, what means preshare all your images? Share them before we start playing, so they download it and then we can play? Did I get that right?

Yes, mark your images as shared and when the players log in the client will check it's database against the GM's, and download anything marked as shared that it doesn't have in it's database.

Blog Entries
    Correct, even if they have the modules, I believe they are still downloaded (because what if you've got a module of the same name but have made changes to it?). But, it's only downloaded once. (Unless the players clear their cache.)

Right click on the image and their is a pre-share image option. This way when they log in (early) it will download the image so it doesn't have to be downloaded when you play. Do note that you want to mask it (when appropriate) before you pre-share it so they players can't look at it until you unmask it during the game.

20MB/s should be sufficient upload speeds. Is that what you are actually getting though? You might be paying for 20 from your modem, but if you have a dozen devices in use when you are playing... so, make sure you actually test under play conditions.
    Also, FG does have poor network architecture (currently being redesigned with FGU, no estimated date), meaning if you share a 1MB image to 2 players, it takes 2MB of bandwidth, if you have 10 players it takes 10MB of bandwidth. And FG freezes while the download is happening

So, pre-share, get your players to log in early, manage what you share. Be aware Let us know.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ah, ok, thanks a lot, that would be the issue... I will tell you after our next session. Fingers crossed... :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpaccio View Post
    Ah, ok, thanks a lot, that would be the issue... I will tell you after our next session. Fingers crossed... :-D
    Have them log in early, and at different times, if at all possible.

Thread Information