Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

fantasygrounds having a lot of lockup and crashing

Good evening everyone for the past 3 months i been noticing that my fantasygrounds has been locking up and freezing for me and my players.

Things that i have done.
    1) created a new module and limited the modules and tokens that i share (53.1 MB (55,734,984 bytes is the size of my token folder)
    2) unshared all maps that were not being used
    3) had players nuke their cache and reconnect to the game
    4) monitored ram for each player most were not over 2 gigs I can get task manager shots for all my players if needed.
    5) I have three players connecting to me and i have 100/10 for internet connection i have monitored my network connection and it is no where near maxing out
    6) this happens with 32 and 64 bit versions.
    Last edited by paul23212; November 10th, 2018 at 06:28.

Blog Entries
    Tokens. If you have 53 MB of tokens in your shared tokens folder you (probably) have too many. It depends upon the resolution of the tokens and not the file size.

Try moving all of the tokens out of your shared folder and restart FG and see if the problems go away.

You can move all your toeksn into tokens folders, which will help you load and unload them easier.

The problem is that all tokens in the shared folder or in open modules are opened into memory for the player clients (not the GM client) and images can easily take up in RAM 20 times their file size. And, since FG is a 32 bit process it can only use about 3.5 GB of RAM.

Have yoru players check their process size to see if the issues happen above 3GB.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

1) Move tokens into modules (not folders).
    2) Don’t use the experimental 64-bit version - it is known to become unresponsive when masking.
    3) Other than masking with the 64-bit version, what is being done when FG become unresponsive? FG is a single threaded application, if it is doing something intense (adding a complex NPC or PC to the CT, opening a large map, etc.) it can go not responding for a while. Does FG come back after going not responding?
    4) Are you using custom maps? That is maps not from a FG module. If so, how big are the maps - resolution and file size.
    5) What ruleset are you using?
    6) What extensions (including themes and decals) do you have enabled?
    7) What modules do you have open and what modules do you have shared with the players?
    8) What is the size of your campaign db.xml file?
    9) Are any of the players using a 32-bit operating system?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you Trenloe
    I will move my tokens into a module and make sure my players are using the normal FG
    I do have custom maps but most of them are from Zovya her older maps are about 3000 x 2000 2.6mb. I notice now she has been making modules for them that may help
    extensions i am using DOE base, Locations, sound, Weather, and the theme i am using is FG con Steam pirates theme
    I am using 5e rulesets and starfinder
    My db.xml file is 1456kb
    On another note i created a new starfinder campaign with the bare min and have the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by paul23212 View Post
    On another note i created a new starfinder campaign with the bare min and have the same issue
    Can you provide details of exactly what the issue is?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The game goes not responding and the screen turns white and most of the time you have to force quit the game I have tried to wait and see if it starts responding but it never has. The other thing that happens it that the game locks up and when you click on anything nothing happens. There is no real time frame when this happens i seen it happen when we have been playing for 5 minutes or not for 2 hours. just seems random.

When you created the new Starfinder campaign and had the same issue, how much memory was FG using?
    Are you using the 64-bit exe?

I was using 32 bit i will have to try and get some of my friend to test with me i so not remember the ram usage.

BTW - there has been a recently reported issue with the Starfinder core rules module taking up 2.2GB of memory in the player side. This can quickly cause issues for players.

An updated module is being worked on...

Thread Information